Diy head cooling mod

03slaminator

Established Member
Ok guys, it's been awhile since iv posted. Iv tried using the search function and it never works for me. I don't know if it's because I use my phone and not an actual computer.

Anyways, can someone please post a good write up on how to build a diy/homemade cobra head cooling mod? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks guys!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't think there is one. Because the cooling mods usually tie into one of the freeze plugs in the back. That would mean some machining to make the needed adapter. Unless you could adapt the fitting for the passenger side heater hose for the driver side head. And then come up with fittings to connect it to the other hoses. But at what point are you really saving time/money?

97snakebite

Established Member
Here's mine.. I have the mmr rear head peices. I deleted my heater core and am not running it from the upper hose but heater core plug on the block side behind pump
20171202_140658.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't think there is one. Because the cooling mods usually tie into one of the freeze plugs in the back. That would mean some machining to make the needed adapter. Unless you could adapt the fitting for the passenger side heater hose for the driver side head. And then come up with fittings to connect it to the other hoses. But at what point are you really saving time/money?

I think ive seen where people weld a fitting into a freeze plug then install it in the head. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I think ive seen where people weld a fitting into a freeze plug then install it in the head. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

That's what I did initially. I brazed a brass fitting into a freeze plug and installed it into the back of the head. Worked fine for awhile, but then the clamp on the hose failed, and it was a huge pain in the ass to reach down there and get at it.

Enter version 2: I just bought another outlet fitting (aka crack pipe) and installed it on the driver's side. That gives you the length you need so it's not as much of a pain to get at the hose clamp. All I had to do was rotate it to a suitable angle, and then drill a new hole in the mounting plate that lines up with a convenient M6x1.0 boss beside the port.

For the plumbing I used a T fitting, some miscellaneous hose, and some molded hoses I scrounged off a Crown Vic. I T'ed both together, then on to the heater core.

Works great. Less than $20.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Here is a pic of the original Chicago LDC Cobra cooling mod kit

LCD Cooling mod.gif

What I didn't like on this was it just dumps the driver's side outlet into the factory outlet reducing the output (volume) on both sides in half. I preferred the Even flow kit with 2 independent feeds to the front crossover pipe. Not a big fan of some of the kits that use AN fitting with 90 degree elbows as they are horrible for flow and usually employ smaller than factory hose size restricting flow even more.

So I made my own even flow kit by modding the LDC kit and this is what I came up with

Cobra modified coolant outlet 8.jpg

(sorry pic is upside down)

The drivers side LDC outlet tube was cut-off flush with the head fitting and re-positioned to exit over the drivers side head. The passenger side was given a dedicated main outlet and a smaller heater core outlet. Both are merged back together on the "Y" fitting before proceeding to the front of the engine.

4.6 cooling system 12.jpg

4.6 cooling system 13.jpg

Drivers side outlet hugging the valve cover (have pic of the rear of the engine showing both sides but the files are to big to post, my apologies)

I went put a lot of though, time and effort to improve the cooling capacity of this engine and this is how I addressed getting coolant to squirt out both ends to keep the rear head temps in check.

Don't tap the freeze plugs adjacent to the intake runners, use the conventional location which is closer to the exhaust ports which is where you want the flow. A tap on the upper freeze plug would largely bypass that section of the water jacket and pull coolant directly from the upper portion of the head gasket coolant passages.

Users who are viewing this thread