DIY eaton porting

NSSVT

Established Member
has anyone on here ever done their own port job to their factory eaton. im just wondering. ive been a auto tech for 4 years and im a decent mechanic. i do all my own upgrades and repairs. im just wondering if it is possible to DIY. with the right how to article. any info is great.

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
I did my own conventional (head/mantifold) porting way back when (before the internet!) on a couple of my corvettes and like anything else, it pays to have watched someone a few times and perhaps have a few extra heads around to practice with a grinder. I've had a Foredom with a flex-shaft for years as well as an air grinder, and you'd probably want to get something along those lines. The guy who taught me was very active in midget racing and those cute little Offenhauser engines. The trick is port-matching and of course, smoothing the castings and progressively getting them polished without going too far. Grinding metal in a narrow, thin-wall environment can be tricky as you have to develop your touch and feel.

That being said, you can google advise on DIY porting of the Eaton online or by checking out eatoninside.com in the tech areas. Several people in the Lightning community have done their own porting, but the Stiegemier option is a good alternative when you don't already have the equipment/knowledge. There's many who think other mods are more beneficial and that investment in a Kenne Bell or Whipple might make more sense.

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
do a search under my name and you will find alot of info on home blower porting. I did mine and am very happy with it. i posted up alot of pics also.

NSSVT

Established Member
thanks guys, for the info. and yeah redlight ill check out your info and pics. thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread