DIY blower port

TargeT

Established Member
I cant seem to turn up any with search, but i KNOW someones done it!!

All that is done by the shops who charge for it is some material removal in the compressed air side right? I've seen the pictures, doesnt look that hard..

is there any reason i shouldnt try it?

Hollowtip429

Established Member
I've read where a few people on here have done it. Don't think that I would try it myself though, but I have no experience with porting and polishing.

TargeT

Established Member
I"ve done some exhaust mani & turbo housing port/polish jobs.. never took as much metal off as i would be here though..

I'm tempted to give it a shot.. can anyone confirm that its only the "bottom" of the blower that gets material removed?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
TargeT said:
..can anyone confirm that its only the "bottom" of the blower that gets material removed?

I can confirm that it is NOT only the bottom that gets material removed...

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
If you have the time and don't care about possibly ruining the blower then go for it.

I still don't get it though; it's one of the cheapest mods bang-for-buck wise to get a Stieg Stage 4. With Stieg you know you're getting quality work that you're not gonna have problems with and it's gonna perform as advertised.

With the DIY job you spend hours and hours grinding and polishing on something that you're not all that familiar with. The results you get will most likely only be around half what you'll get with the Stieg IV. There's a reason why an expert like Stieg progressed in Stages from 1 upward over the years. It takes a while to learn it, even for a pro.

Robyn Stiegmeier told me this week that they get home-ported blowers sent to them on the core exchange program that they can't upgrade to Stage IV b/c they're ruined (I assume too much material removed). I wonder why people would be trying to exchange these for a Stage IV? People who claim that they never knew the blower was ported but yet try to do an exchange for a Stage IV.:lol:

If it's so cheap to have the pros do it why risk f'ing it up? What if you only gain 15rwhp with your DIY job? You know you won't be satisfied with mediocre gains...

Now head porting is a completely different story. It's so expensive that it's nearly cost prohibitive. Someone who knew to do basic cleanup/polishing work and valve jobs would be well served to maybe pick up a used set of these heads and have at it. Blower port jobs aren't that expensive though...

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
93 347 Cobra said:
If you have the time and don't care about possibly ruining the blower then go for it.

I still don't get it though; it's one of the cheapest mods bang-for-buck wise to get a Stieg Stage 4. With Stieg you know you're getting quality work that you're not gonna have problems with and it's gonna perform as advertised.

Robyn Stiegmeier told me this week that they get home-ported blowers sent to them on the core exchange program that they can't upgrade to Stage IV b/c they're ruined (I assume too much material removed). I wonder why people would be trying to exchange these for a Stage IV? People who claim that they never knew the blower was ported but yet try to do an exchange for a Stage IV.:lol:

If it's so cheap to have the pros do it why risk f'ing it up? What if you only gain 15rwhp with your DIY job? You know you won't be satisfied with mediocre gains...
Blower port jobs aren't that expensive though...

:whine: :whine: :whine: :kaboom:

ViciousJay

Established Member
93 347 Cobra said:

With the DIY job you spend hours and hours grinding and polishing on something that you're not all that familiar with. The results you get will most likely only be around half what you'll get with the Stieg IV. There's a reason why an expert like Stieg progressed in Stages from 1 upward over the years. It takes a while to learn it, even for a pro.

Now head porting is a completely different story. It's so expensive that it's nearly cost prohibitive. Someone who knew to do basic cleanup/polishing work and valve jobs would be well served to maybe pick up a used set of these heads and have at it. Blower port jobs aren't that expensive though...

if you only knew how easy it is to do.... hell with timing at 15* and a bottom low a/f i was pulling 444/450 ... i could only image if i tuned it with my origanl tuner what kinda numbers i would get... too bad i have to wait another week

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
ViciousJay said:
if you only knew how easy it is to do.... hell with timing at 15* and a bottom low a/f i was pulling 444/450 ... i could only image if i tuned it with my origanl tuner what kinda numbers i would get... too bad i have to wait another week

If someone posts before and after gains that are solid I'll be the first to give them props.

ViciousJay

Established Member
you will know in a week ;)

before: 460/496 - stock 2.76
strictly port: 481/507
home ported: we'll find out....

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
JB said:
I can confirm that it is NOT only the bottom that gets material removed...

Absolutely correct. I've had 2 Steggy ported blowers (don't ask).

For $500, or whatever a port costs these days, I don't see why
anyone would even consider porting their own blower. $500 is dirt
cheap when you're talking 40rwhp/40rwtq.

ViciousJay

Established Member
40/40 is good but who cares wait if you run 12.0 when someone else does their own and makes 10 hp off theirs and runs 11.3... ive seen more ports from other companys run faster then steggies for some odd reason

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
unit213 said:
For $500, or whatever a port costs these days, I don't see why
anyone would even consider porting their own blower. $500 is dirt
cheap when you're talking 40rwhp/40rwtq.

Exactly what I'm sayin'.

GodStang

Established Member
I do all my own P&P just because I do not like anyone else touch my stuff. The two times I have taken something to a shop for work I had parts stolen from my car. Both different shops.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
ViciousJay said:
40/40 is good but who cares wait if you run 12.0 when someone else does their own and makes 10 hp off theirs and runs 11.3... ive seen more ports from other companys run faster then steggies for some odd reason

The difference you're talking about lies in the setup, not power.

ViciousJay

Established Member
ehhhhh thats true and false unit... me personally... ok so you spend 500 on something that supposed to be so hard to do that takes them less then a day to do.. hell if i added all teh time it took me to do mine it would range in around 4 hours... its very ease... everyone thinks cutting the triangle is where the gain is made... for us that know anything bout ported blowers know this is FALSE!

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
GodStang said:
I do all my own P&P just because I do not like anyone else touch my stuff. The two times I have taken something to a shop for work I had parts stolen from my car. Both different shops.

+1

ViciousJay

Established Member
+2

now if i can only devise a way to make my own catback and learn tuning better and id have myself a total home made modded car :)

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
ViciousJay said:
+2

now if i can only devise a way to make my own catback and learn tuning better and id have myself a total home made modded car :)

Buy the mufflers you like and then get a pipe bender and then some tips and you have your own catback. Not that hard especially if you have the irs still.

TargeT

Established Member
buy pre mandrel bent bends and some pipe, weld it up..

ive done this a few times.. exhaust is WAY over priced IMO...

I found a Steig IV, Mac long tube Headers and Offroad H pipe for 1,000... for the price i basicaly got either the exhaust or blower for near free :)

AND i still have my stock blower to play with or sell...

i still think copying the port job is definatly worth DIY. porting is really easy, doesnt take "for ever"

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'll be porting mine myself in the next few weeks! I should've gotten it done by now but my tuners a little backed up!

Users who are viewing this thread