Divorce and student loan question?

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Not so much a question about the divorce which I think I'm going to be going through here guys but she threw the "i'm being nice, you're responsible for half my student loans if you don't do this and this" to the tune of $60k to date. Now I live in Wisconsin which is a community property state and have seen mixed reviews. One, she had existing student loans of about $14k when we met, racked some more up before we got married, still hasn't received her bachelors yet and is onto a masters degree.

I've seen that each student loan is the debtor's responsibility because it will only benefit the one who received the degree. I've signed nothing on any of her student loans, etc. I've had the good fortune of having the $40k of student loans I should've had paid for by my old company.

Just checking to see if anyone has gone through this, this is my only concern and would not want to get stuck with it.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Sigh marriage...if you didnt sign anything and are getting divorced you dont have to pay.
Yes, to lawyer up

oldmodman

Established Member
She wants you to pay for half her student loans?

I assume she intends to keep 100% of the knowledge she get? And keep it for life?

Then you should be entitled to 50% of all the money that knowledge helps her earn. For life.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Definitely lawyer up and fast.

Depending on your state you may be responsible for half of the debt accrued during your marriage. That might be different with a student loan however. Especially if you can show that she was engaged in this process prior to marriage.

At any rate, I would plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Student loan is federally subsidized, and IMO only she would be responsible to repay. Like others said.. I would lawyer up.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
She wants you to pay for half her student loans?

I assume she intends to keep 100% of the knowledge she get? And keep it for life?

Then you should be entitled to 50% of all the money that knowledge helps her earn. For life.

Good point.

You did not benefit off of this education I presume OP?

Users who are viewing this thread