Diving back in, any contractors here?

SVTCobra306

Established Member
OK so after being out for 2 years, I'm not happy with my retirement outlook as a mechanic.. wtf was I thinking? LOL.

Did 10, ETS'ed as a SSG 19D3P, and active Army won't take me back for some stupid reason.. I guess they would rather dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into putting some possible druggie through OSUT rather than get their investment back out of all my schools and experience, right?

So the options I'm looking at are:

Reserves or NG.. somehow I doubt I'll get along well in either with my background in the 82nd, plus my experience as a 19D is not very useful for a decent paying job during the week.. there is always the tech jobs, but that's still not that great for pay..

College and commission? I don't really know much about that route, but I would consider it.. I am going to use my GI bill at some point.

Contracting.. went to a job fair on Ft. Bragg, and apparently Northrup Grumman has a need for former E-6 and above 19D's to work with the Saudi Arabian National Guard.. downside is that it's overseas, but the pay is supposed to be really good, and I'd have gotten deployed for a 3rd time anyway going back active, not get paid as much, and would be going somewhere crappier than Saudi..

Looks like option C is what I'm taking for now. Anyone doing something similar who can give me an idea of how it pays starting out? I'm just fishing for more info, I'm sure if I get a slot I'll be finding out more in a hurry. I'm hoping it also helps get my foot in the door for getting into a contracting job in the states, I might be reaching there but it can't hurt LOL.

yelostang

Established Member
This is my experience...and this is coming from a maintenance guy from the Air Force.

I did 6 years in the AF and got a job with Northrop before I started terminal leave. I ended up working for them for almost 2 years. If you go that route the pay should be comparable to what you made as an E6...I think.

You need to go ahead and plan on going to school even if it's an online school for a management degree. While I was there you had to have a masters to get into management so with out a bachelors degree you are SOL. You can get in, but to move up you will need the degree. They are a very pro military company so you may be able to do both guard and work for them without much hassle.

I ended up leaving to pursue my Electrical Engineering degree (just graduated last weekend) and there was no way I could have done it while working...I just traveled too much.

BTW I was a Field Engineer working aircraft defense systems.

Edit...guy I graduated with was a 19D and he said things were tough out there even with a degree. I'd jump on the Northrop job and if it sucks just look for something else.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I'm sure active duty would take you again, but they will want to reduce you to an E-4. The Army is in the process of downsizing which is why it can be pretty hard to get back in for prior service. It also greatly depends on your RE code.

The contracting job may be a good start. You could always look into tripple canopy or other private security companies. I took a couple PS classes and learned alot about executive protection but in the end it just didn't sound like it was for me. But the pay is substantial.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I'm going to jump on that one, it is in Saudi, but even just a year of it would set me straight financially lol. Did they only want management degrees? I've been looking harder into a degree in Homeland Security, it seems that more of my AARTS transcripts will apply that way, I did some college with UOP but they hosed me on my transfer credits really badly.. plus the course material sucked and the program was useless.

My RE code is 1, and I started looking into getting back in before I had been out for 2 years (now it's been 2 years and 2 weeks). They were (are) only taking back NCO's in very very specific career fields, like linguists with certain languages and one other example, and no retrain options... they kept trying to push me into the reserves and reclass to non combat arms (F that), then pray for an AGR slot. I tried through several recruiters in several locations (here at Bragg, back in Iowa, and a buddy in DC who is now recruiting) and kept getting the same answer over and over, so it wasn't just a recruiter trying to fill a mission and screw me over. I've decided they just don't want me back lol. They did give me the option of 18X as an E-4.. again F that.

Last edited:

yelostang

Established Member
I don't think it necessarly has to be a business degree. I think you just need some sort of degree.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I'm pretty sure I'm going to jump on that one, it is in Saudi, but even just a year of it would set me straight financially lol. Did they only want management degrees? I've been looking harder into a degree in Homeland Security, it seems that more of my AARTS transcripts will apply that way, I did some college with UOP but they hosed me on my transfer credits really badly.. plus the course material sucked and the program was useless.

My RE code is 1, and I started looking into getting back in before I had been out for 2 years (now it's been 2 years and 2 weeks). They were (are) only taking back NCO's in very very specific career fields, like linguists with certain languages and one other example, and no retrain options... they kept trying to push me into the reserves and reclass to non combat arms (F that), then pray for an AGR slot. I tried through several recruiters in several locations (here at Bragg, back in Iowa, and a buddy in DC who is now recruiting) and kept getting the same answer over and over, so it wasn't just a recruiter trying to fill a mission and screw me over. I've decided they just don't want me back lol. They did give me the option of 18X as an E-4.. again F that.

Damn that blows. Ever consider a federal agency? The hiring process can be very long but it seems like thats the direction you are leaning towards. The CIA is ramping up thier ranks. For the first time ever I heard a CIA recruiting commercial on the radio a few weeks ago.

I suggest applying for the FBI, DEA, ICE, Marshal's, DHS or which ever agency interests you most and while you are waiting for the long process to play out(can be 2 years) you can do a tour in Saudi as a contractor. That might actually look really good on your resume for those agencies. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread