DITY move?

runsonboost

Established Member
so i did a dity move last november when i got out and moved 6870lbs from camp pendleton to indiana, 2100 miles. at the time i submitted my 2278 the system was broken and was only giving everyone 1 mile of travel no matter what. so i finally got my settlement last week, $3700. seems a little low considering it cost me $2700 just in truck rental and fuel. i called the place and they said everything is right but werent able to pull up my 2278 form to check the mileage. the way the broke it down was that i get 95% of what it would cost the government to pay someone, that amount was $4052. seems to me that have to be calculating something wrong in there because i dont think a moving company will come pack everything, move it across the contry and unpack it for 4 grand.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Yeah they pay 90% of what it would cost a mover to do if if you do a DITY. That amount sounds right, and you gotta remember, the mileage allowance amount has decreased quite a bit. I got about 4500 when i moved from Seattle to St. Louis and that was about 2300 miles with dependent travel.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
So you're bitching that they paid you a 1000$ over what it cost you?

Get over it.

runsonboost

Established Member
So you're bitching that they paid you a 1000$ over what it cost you?

Get over it.

actually I said it was 2700 for the truck and fuel alone. My wife and 2 kids stayed In a hotel twice, we stopped and ate food like regular people as well. I wouldn't classify it as bitching really, I just find it hard to believe that they can find a company that will come to your house and pack everything In it, load it, drive it 2000 miles, and then unload it for $4500.

Yes I made about $500, I also packed, loaded, drove, and unloaded by myself.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
This is the exact reason I don't do Dity moves. You make just as much money if not more having the Govt move you- plus you don't have the aggravation of packing, loading then unloading and unpacking. Way more convenient for the govt to do it.

runsonboost

Established Member
thats what i wanted to do, my unit thought it was impairative that i be at work not doing anything rather than taking care of my personal shit so i didnt get to TMO until a week before i was leaving and they said they couldnt process a govt move that fast and i should just do a DITY move.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
This is the exact reason I don't do Dity moves. You make just as much money if not more having the Govt move you- plus you don't have the aggravation of packing, loading then unloading and unpacking. Way more convenient for the govt to do it.

Pretty much.

I never did a DITY move in my 20 years because it really isn't worth the hassle. I have my final retirement pack-out next month and their gonna move everything again.

Users who are viewing this thread