Ditched Densecharger; Put On 12" K&N!!! WoooHoooo!!!

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Wow!! I have had nothing but problems with the densecharger. Stalling, hesitation, extremely rough idle, etc. When the stock air box was put back on, the problems went away. Well I decided to try an open element setup like some people on this board. I went to Pro-M's website and ordered a flange adapter ($36) to fit the 90mm stock MAF and K&N filter. The flange is found here:

http://performancepartsmall.com/detail.asp?id=225

I then searched for 12" K&N filter that fit this adapter flange. The part number is K&N RE-0860. I found one website that had it advertised for $45.95. So I ordered it. It can be found here:

http://www.carshopinc.com/product/details/KNE-RE-0860.shtml

Now I hate having to call and give people my credit card numbers and address over the phone and waiting for busy signals and holding and paying for long distance,,,,you get the idea. I ordered these parts online last Monday morning and received them Thursday! Awesome response time by these folks. The price of the filter with shipping was $54.40 and the adapter was $45.65 for a total of $100.05.

So today I decide to yank off the DC and try this new setup. It took about 15 minutes with the help of my little brother and his small hands LOL. The 12" filter fits surprisingly but just barely. The filter looks awesome installed under the hood! Very clean looking. I also left the MAF screen installed. I connect the battery and start her up. Let it idle to normal temperature as I am drinking a cold one. Take it for a drive and I instantly notice that the hesitation is gone!! :thumbsup: So I see If my boost is any different,,,,,well the boost gauge still goes all the way to the right due to my pulley but SOTP meter tells me it is the same if not better. Part throttle response is much better as well. I would account this for the larger filter size. The DC came with a 6" conical. The supercharger just wails now!

So I come back home and let her idle for a while, listening for any roughness. Well she idles just like stock!!! And the hissing sound at idle is awesome! I'm so happy I finally have a filter that gives me the reliability of OEM with the power of a fenderwell. And for $100!!!! Some companies even charge $139 for a kit that comes with a 9" filter that isnt even a K&N :rollseyes I highly recommend this method for anyone who is having driveabilty problems (with fenderwell setups) or who simply doesnt want to spend a lot of money on a filter setup. This filter is supposed to be good for up to 600HP as well. I'm not knocking any of the venders here, but this is just too good to keep a secret!

:beer:

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Some...charge...for a kit...with a 9" filter that isnt even a K&N...

I'll take an aFe over a K&N any day of the week...

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
I dump the KB big 4" hose and used the 12" K&N filter that came with it; fits nice next to the MAF sensor and my stall is gone so the misses a low rpm. I did not notice any lost in power or torque.

Cobra'03

Established Member
I agree - it is a better filter - made better, esp. the "rubber" - I like the red color as well. Red makes 5 rwhp BTW - it "excites" the incoming air molecules by making them angry.

If a 9" flows more air than i can ever use, which it does, I do not see the point of a 12" - it's like putting two 850 cfm Holleys on a V-6. Bigger is not necessarily better.

COBRyran - so are you using a cover or not on your setup? Glad you like it and it fixed your probs. I backed out of the DC because of reports like yours, and also returned the KB when i had nothing but hassles with it. i am more and more convinced that the straigh-shooters are the way to go, rather than those that are bent - same as in real life, huh?

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Originally posted by Cobra'03
I agree - it is a better filter - made better, esp. the "rubber" - I like the red color as well. Red makes 5 rwhp BTW - it "excites" the incoming air molecules by making them angry.

If a 9" flows more air than i can ever use, which it does, I do not see the point of a 12" - it's like putting two 850 cfm Holleys on a V-6. Bigger is not necessarily better.

COBRyran - so are you using a cover or not on your setup? Glad you like it and it fixed your probs. I backed out of the DC because of reports like yours, and also returned the KB when i had nothing but hassles with it. i am more and more convinced that the straigh-shooters are the way to go, rather than those that are bent - same as in real life, huh?

Hey,,,Well the densecharger came with a 6" filter which many shops told me would be too small for 500rwhp. They said the motor would be breathing through a straw literally. So a 12" may be to the extreme but was only $5 more than a 9". I dont have a heat shield as of yet, but I may rig something up from the local hardware store LOL

grnenvy

Established Member
We talked about this three months ago and I told you guys that an open filter was unbelievable. It made a huge differance on my car and it is cheap. And runs great no problems with Idle or stall.

JWC

Established Member
I just ordered mine. I already have an adapter. The one that came with my Mac system that I had to cut the pipe on because it wouldn't fit as a unit. COBRyan thank for the info.

ltv1

Established Member
I also thank you

Never liked convoluted 90 degree setups, some were twin 90's. After searching forever I decided to go with a Pro-M 92mm MAS and filter. Straight laminar airflow thru a honkin' 92mm opening. Some fan backwash causing variable idle I am sure, but my guess is no high speed stalling either, or stalling period. It works for Lightnings...Thanks.:)

matt lankford

all is sold
now for atage two, since that piece of the dc is drilled to your fender wall, cut it to match the size of the opening, then plumb a ram air hose from beside the fog light right up next to the filter, then zip tie it to the carbon fiber plate....110 ram air

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Originally posted by matt lankford
now for atage two, since that piece of the dc is drilled to your fender wall, cut it to match the size of the opening, then plumb a ram air hose from beside the fog light right up next to the filter, then zip tie it to the carbon fiber plate....110 ram air

awesome idea :thumbsup: !!! Im gonna try that next weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread