Discovered a bent valve and pulled the heads

88foxbod

Established Member
So while I was waiting for my heaton to get ported I pulled my valve covers to do some painting and discovered a rocker arm just laying in the head.

After further inspection one of the exhaust valves was bent. I lucked out though, pulled the heads and everything else looks great. I have a few questions when putting everything back together because this is my first DOHC motor i've disassembled.

I paid real close attention to the dissassembly process and am aware of the TTY bolts and process of things. A few things I would like to know.

When looking at the front of the motor do you spin clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Also when reinstalling my chain tensioners how do I prime them to make sure I don't skip a tooth on first startup?

SNK-BITE

Established Member
ALWAYS CLOCKWISE!!!!!... Last time i timed a mod motor was a 2V saleen. I had it on a stand and turned the crank about 20 or so times and it primed them.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I had a problem like that, a rocker popped off. But I just threw a new lash adjuster on and it runs like a bat out of hell again. Compression tested it and everything. You would be the second instance I've seen with a rocker just popping off.

+1 on Clockwise!

88foxbod

Established Member
I had a problem like that, a rocker popped off. But I just threw a new lash adjuster on and it runs like a bat out of hell again. Compression tested it and everything. You would be the second instance I've seen with a rocker just popping off.

+1 on Clockwise!

No kiddin, I was looking up the issue the other day and it almost seems common. A found 3 posts in the exact same position too, number 3 cylinder exhaust valve under the one lobe that does not have the bearing cap. Weird

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Yea it seems like a common uncommon problem if that makes sense. How did you test for a bent valve, or did you just speculate?

88foxbod

Established Member
Yea it seems like a common uncommon problem if that makes sense. How did you test for a bent valve, or did you just speculate?

Tried to put the rocker back on and it would just fall off again so I looked it a Lil closer with a mirror and it was plain as day crooked :p
Who knows how long it's been like that. I never noticed any driveability issues or noises. I just got lucky that I felt froggy enough to paint the valve covers.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Also if you turn it to far while trying to line up the timing marks do not back peddle and try and bump it counter clock wise even a small bit. Just start fresh and try it again.

Users who are viewing this thread