Disconnect alernator for more power down the 1320?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Some guys used to just run a short belt that only turned the water pump straight off the crank. It does help some if you don't mind doing the belt swap.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
This is not a good thing to do on a computer controlled car.

1. You charging system is a feedback system, voltage regulator is (In a sense) controlled by the ECM. unhooking the Alt. can cause issues.

2. Due to all the electronics on modern cars it takes good voltage to keep it running. All the electronics have a high amp draw.
You have injectors, fuel pump, ECM, ignition, fans may kick on.
If your voltage drops below 12 you may slow down.

Unhooking the alt, is old school or all out race car.
Mostly carbed cars and the only electronics is the ignition and maybe fuel pump.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
This is not a good thing to do on a computer controlled car.

I've seen quite a few 93 Cobra guys do this without hurting their times. Granted as you mentioned the 96 up cars are a feedback system. However, it can't hurt to try some things once to see if they have any improvements. I don't encourage bypassing the water pump, only mentioned what I had seen in the past with some guys needing that last little bit. :beer:

91hatch

Established Member
the biggest pick up if ur not going to run the alt u might as well not run a belt. as long as u dont run your car long enough to overheart not running a belt should pick you up 15-20 hop and should be good for a few tenths

91hatch

Established Member
the biggest pick up if ur not going to run the alt u might as well not run a belt. as long as u dont run your car long enough to overheart not running a belt should pick you up 15-20 hp and should be good for a few tenths

Users who are viewing this thread