Discharging the AC system

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Does anyone know the steps to discharge the AC system? Is this something I should take to a shop to have done or can I actually do it myself?

Thank you

hitmix300

Established Member
I just take an old bath towel and wrap it around the high pressure port then jam a screw driver on the valve until it's done lol

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Ok lol. I have never messed with the AC before in a car. I can give that a shot and if I can't figure it out I have a Jiffy Lube around the corner that will evacuate it.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Legally you should have a shop "recover" it.

But if a line happens to get cracked open, it will accidentally release the pressure...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Legally you should have a shop "recover" it.

But if a line happens to get cracked open, it will accidentally release the pressure...

or if you had a cheap set of gauges from harbor freight and the like, it wouldnt be surprising if there was a slow leak, slow enough it wouldnt blow a bunch of oil out of the system

and while it was definitely somewhat of a hookup, a shop we used at work evacuated the system for me then when I came back refilled it and basically only charged me some labor and not for freon.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Open that line and let it out. Its illegal to remove the cats but we do it anyway.

_Snake_

Established Member
Take it to a shop and have it evacuated properly / legally. It's not expensive, just inconvenient. Doesn't even take that long.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Oops. I kinda just unbolted the plumbing and pulled it apart/let it discharge itself haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixPak

Established Member
Chlorine is what got the rap for 'supposedly' burning a hole in the Ozone, but R134a doesn't have chlorine in it.
Just as an aside, I have been in the HVAC/R industry since 1973, and prolly dumped 2 million pounds of chlorine containing refrigerants into the atmosphere before it became illegal. That's the way I was taught in a college setting. Personally, I don't buy the chlorine burning a hole in the ozone business, any more than I bought into the world is going into an ice age circa 1978, or Algore's book about Earth in the balance hokey-pokey about global warming. Climate change? Yes. It gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Just my $.02.

SixPak

Established Member
PS: if you witnessed a big cloud of oil when that line set burst you might need to add a little oil to your system. If your compressor clatters a little louder than usual get a can of oil charge from the auto parts store and dump it in before you put too many miles on it or you may wind up needing a compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread