Disaster Strikes! with a 6lb pulley

SVT Physicist

Fellow Believer in Ford
Established Member
Hello all on SVT Performance

Recently my engine in my Lightning literally blew up while driving at highway speeds (~70 mph) the air temperature was around 60 F. I have attached the pictures below for all of you to look at and comment on. The truck was a stock engine with a 6 LB pulley from LFP, KN CAI, and exhaust. The truck was tuned by Rick at Amazon tuning awhile back on the dyno and was the tune I was driving with at the time. The truck was meticulously maintained and retained the stock Eaton supercharger.

When the engine blew up there was a loud metal to metal sound followed by white smoke. And you can see that fracture occurred on both sides of the engine block.

The engine is now pulled and being replaced. The mechanic has also notified me that the supercharger blades were damaged as well by the explosion of metal.

Please comment on this event if you feel inclined. But this really is a freak of an event.

DSC00576.jpg

DSC00577.jpg

Last edited:

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
how is the SC damaged....would like to see what caused the SC to become damged. impossible for metal to blow up through the IC and back into the rotors of th SC>

never seen a SC get screwed up from a rod letting go. I have replaced quite a few popped blocks and the SC never got taken out as a result

SVT Physicist

Fellow Believer in Ford
Established Member
I will get some pictures of the supercharger. The Ford mechanic has stated this associated with the threads on the supercharger being damaged. I was told this was due to the crank pulley putting extra stress on the supercharger.

Also the mechanic has stated the rods were overly fatigued by the addition of the crank pulley. And that there are disclaimers all over purchasing a crank pulley. Just what I've been told. I can not believe this happened at ordinary highway speeds.

Last edited:

bgstew6

Established Member
:UM OK

again like I said before hard to believe that one....replaced quite a few popped blocks and never seen a SC taken out....numerous guys here running upped boost (no popped block) and never a problem with their SC some have over a 100k on their motors..

Last edited:

SVT Physicist

Fellow Believer in Ford
Established Member
The engine had 84k on the motor as well. Probably should have mentioned and the crank pulley has been on for about 8k miles. Never been raced or abused.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Dang. I've heard of one other case of this but, it was hard to comprehend. Serious case of "Double jeapardy!" Have you seen the blades yourself?? Don't let these guys take you along for ride...
Have you done any recent datalogging???????????????
+1 on the Pics of the SC....

Last edited:

bgstew6

Established Member
where in SOcal Are you....Hell I would come by and check it out for ya if youre close....

SVT Physicist

Fellow Believer in Ford
Established Member
I have not seen the blades myself yet, but will soon and take pictures.

I have datalogged the truck before and everything seemed on par at WOT from what I know and have been told.

SVT Physicist

Fellow Believer in Ford
Established Member
Actually the truck is currently at James Ford in Half Moon Bay (Bay Area). I tried calling some local builders other than them, but they were booked for months to a year to complete the job. And that is too long for me.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Sux that it happened. Something mechanical went wrong IMO to cause the failure at low load/speed. Once it's rebuilt be sure to get to a dyno or a wideband to make sure everything is within spec.

As stated there is no way for the s/c to get damaged from an engine failure or vice versa for that matter. The intercooler blocks anything but air or moisture from going through it due to the fins.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Damn dude, that sucks bigtime.

Unfortunately it's an engine and it will fail. I have replaced engine's in L's with less than 100 miles on them, BONE STOCK fresh off the assembly line. Yes, the 6lb'r didn't help the lifespan of your engine but, I cannot see how a tossed rod can damage the S/C rotor's.

SVT Physicist

Fellow Believer in Ford
Established Member
The mechanic said that pieces of metal from the supercharger went into the engine which does not much sense at all... This a reputable builder supposedly at Ford that I was told has "15 years of experience" but I will not take that at face value and will do exactly what you Fade stated.

airtroop01

Established Member
I'm in the East Bay...
I've noted that the new blend of fuel for the winter has really sucked. Can't put timing to her at all. I bet you were pinging and didn't even know it. Your damage looks exactly like how my stock motor did when I first blew one of these motors up.

If you need a stock blower, I have one... but, I agree that it would be weird that the blower took damage.

My suggestion - Run torco or alky injection with CA gas.

Users who are viewing this thread