Disassembly Results..

bvysochin

Established Member
Disassembly Results.. ** PICS **

Just picked this car up a week ago or so..

Thought I'd share some pics with you guys so you know what your bottom end looks like when crap hits the fan.

The condition we bought it in..
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pvm-tfF9Nd4

The pull..

101.jpg

102.jpg

104.jpg

107.jpg

Mining for platinum! :rollseyes
116.jpg

The oil psi was fluctuating a little.. can you see why? :dw:
117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

Since when did they start using phillips screws? Wtf! :dw:
121.jpg

Uhh.. wtf. :dw:
123.jpg

Not supposed to be there..
124.jpg

Part of piston missing.. :eek:
125.jpg

Two spun bearings so far..
127.jpg

Three spun bearings so far..
128.jpg

Six spun bearings so far..
129.jpg

Seven spun bearings.. and 1 half missing on one cylinder.. Can that count as 8 spun bearings? :rollseyes
140.jpg

Special thanks to Midnight_Cobra for his help. This one took about 8-10 hours or so from start to finish. Damn rusty/over-torqued bolts.

More to come.. :pop:

Last edited:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
holy fack!!! if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for the vehicle? I see it has a KB chillin up top eh? :coolman: I just bought a running, but hurt, 97 vorteched cobra for 3500 (3975 after shipping).

EDIT: that motor sounded like it had marbles floating around inside :eek:

Last edited:

bvysochin

Established Member
I paid less than you.. ;-)

This car is in amazing shape aside from the motor. Exterior/interior are damn near perfect, aside from a few small worn spots.. If we didn't already have so many cars, I wouldn't mind holding onto this one.

I saw that black 97 come up the day after I bought this one. I would have bought the black one also, had it not been 2700 miles away. I mapquest'ed it and was ready to drive to pick it up, but it was just too far.. It also had quite a few things I'd have to fix (other than the motor) before I was able to sell it.. Sure seemed like a clean ride though with a lot of nice aftermarket stuff.. Good luck with it!

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Yep and that's my future car they Bvysochin and I are building. It looks worse in person, pictures don't do it justice.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
bvysochin said:
Special thanks to Midnight_Cobra for his help. This one took about 8-10 hours or so from start to finish. Damn rusty/over-torqued bolts.

More to come.. :pop:

:D, can't wait to get it up and running.

fa110ut

Established Member
What do you guys plan on doing with that car?

I hope my motor doesn't look like that once it gets opened up by Red98CobraStang lol.

bvysochin

Established Member
Either putting in a forged shortblock, or rebuilding it with forged internals.. from there, if all checks out good, it's Midnight_Cobra's car.. I have other cars/projects lined up already..

Last edited:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
fa110ut said:
What do you guys plan on doing with that car?

I hope my motor doesn't look like that once it gets opened up by Red98CobraStang lol.

me too, lol. from that video clip tho, the engine sounded fine. I think the rings are just leaking oil. As soon as I get the car, I'm doing a full compression and leak down test to see whats going on in the 32v'r.

bvysochin

Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
me too, lol. from that video clip tho, the engine sounded fine. I think the rings are just leaking oil. As soon as I get the car, I'm doing a full compression and leak down test to see whats going on in the 32v'r.

Post up some pics once you tear it apart.. I'd be curious to see also.

I wish we did a comp. test before pulling this one.. I wanted to but forgot.. :nonono:

If you need any help/advice pulling it.. pm me.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
bvysochin said:
Post up some pics once you tear it apart.. I'd be curious to see also.

I wish we did a comp. test before pulling this one.. I wanted to but forgot.. :nonono:

If you need any help/advice pulling it.. pm me.

Thanks a lot bud. I'm hoping to tear it apart ASAP. Wish me luck!

bvysochin

Established Member
Assuming the top end is OK, we're hoping to swap everything over to a terminator shortblock. Otherwise, we'll swap out pistons, rods, bearings, bolts, gaskets, oil pump, etc. Hopefully the crank and block are salvageable.. We'll see once we strip it all down later this week.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
bvysochin said:
Assuming the top end is OK, we're hoping to swap everything over to a terminator shortblock. Otherwise, we'll swap out pistons, rods, bearings, bolts, gaskets, oil pump, etc. Hopefully the crank and block are salvageable.. We'll see once we strip it all down later this week.

Word, Terminator shortblock FTW. I bet you some of the pistons look pretty bad considering one has a dime sized hole in it. LOL

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
32V NACobra said:
Keeping the KB?

Damn right! I am keeping it at 6-7 psi to "break the motor in" then I will step up to the 03/04 injectors and MAF and 10psi and hopefully make around 400/400.

Users who are viewing this thread