Disapointing Track Results With 2.8H KB

Joe5.0

Established Member
Made my first runs ever in my car last night. I feel like something is up.

2003 Cobra

2.8H KB 16-17psi
Accufab Single Blade TB
PHP Cold Air intake
Granitelli Maf of some sort
FRPP 60#ers
KB BAP
Afco Heat Exchanger

Bassani Catted X
Bassani Catback

Stock Clutch, Input shaft, Tranny
D.S.S Level 5 Half Shafts
Fiore Quadrant and firewall adjuster
Steeda tri-ax (hate it)

MM SFC's
MM K member
MM upper and lower control arms

New 335/30/18 Pirelli street tires

CAR MADE 602/520 On a Dynapack Chassis Dyno at a local shop, they tuned it as well. 92 Octane

Best runs:
photo-1_zps24530fff.jpg

photo-3_zps226dbc00.jpg

The car did spin bad in 1st gear every pass. Was leaving around 3-4K RPMS fethering the clutch. Either way i should be trapping ALOT higher i think.

The only cool down the car had was about 30 minutes in-between passes, heat on full blast with the hood up. No ice in the expansion tank or on top of the blower.

Ran 6 passes and not one time did i trap over 113 MPH.

IAT2's unknown as i am unsure how to log those? I have an outdated Xcal2

And my stock clutch has 25,000 miles. Maybe slipping in 3rd and 4th?

Please leave some feedback guys.

Joey

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm going to go with a few things.. Heat soaked, spinning, clutch slipping, and slow shifting..

Joe5.0

Established Member
Lol i will admit i hate my steeda tri-ax. In the 6,000-6500 rpm range it is super hard to shift into 3rd and 4th. I wouldnt say i was power shifting but i was shifting at a good pace.

Anyways besides drag radials....where should i start my process of elimination?

Personally i would like to upgrade the cooling system first before anything. I have been thinking about the Killer Chiller, Rousch 170T-Stat, And a LFP Radiator.

Thanks Guys

stroked mach

Established Member
diff a set of tires and you got to givre them csars time to cool down or they pull timming like crazy and that leads to less power, so DRS and cooled down mybey some ice in both and a good light with good shifts and see what that would o if it diddent help,and I mean help a lot I would make sure the pumps are up to par and a new clutch, the clutch could be the problem with the shifts

SNK-BITE

Established Member
My money says you rolling right through the clutch. And btw turning the heat on does nothing to cool the blower. Idling like that probably did more harm than good.

B746

Resident Logician
Established Member
It's probably a long shot, but I just took my car to the track and ran slower than I did years ago stock. This led me to start looking for an issue. I got lucky and found my problem pretty quickly, the COPs. 3 of the 8 springs were corroded and causing barely noticeable misfires under heavy load. I never would have thought there was an issue had I not ran a bad time/mph. Switching back to OEM pieces fixed everything.

I guess what I'm suggesting, OP, is to give the simple stuff a once over: check the ignition, vacuum hoses, maybe even change the fuel filter. Often times, the simplest thing is the answer. Good luck.

Joe5.0

Established Member
My money says you rolling right through the clutch. And btw turning the heat on does nothing to cool the blower. Idling like that probably did more harm than good.

Tough to say. Very well could be. The car did not smell like a burning clutch though.

And i had the car off with the heat on. Was just trying to get all the hot air out of the engine bay.

Thanks for your input.

Joe5.0

Established Member
It's probably a long shot, but I just took my car to the track and ran slower than I did years ago stock. This led me to start looking for an issue. I got lucky and found my problem pretty quickly, the COPs. 3 of the 8 springs were corroded and causing barely noticeable misfires under heavy load. I never would have thought there was an issue had I not ran a bad time/mph. Switching back to OEM pieces fixed everything.

I guess what I'm suggesting, OP, is to give the simple stuff a once over: check the ignition, vacuum hoses, maybe even change the fuel filter. Often times, the simplest thing is the answer. Good luck.

I may have to do that. I did just purchase the car a few weeks ago. It has 24,500 original miles so maybe the fuel filter and plugs need some attention.

With that being said......With some DR's and good 60FT times, what should this car REALLY be trapping? I am no professional driver so keep that in mind.

Thanks guys

TurboGA

Established Member
You do have an issue somewhere. The car should of ran in the mid 120's even with that 60 ft time. Need to look into that clutch...:eek:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
what is the DA of the track? That plays alot into this. 60fts are not going to do anything for your mph, they will help with et. next time you go, ice the blower. Let it sit a good 45-1hour between passes. I went a best of 11.6 @ 121 with a ported eaton, 474hp.

Joe5.0

Established Member
what is the DA of the track? That plays alot into this. 60fts are not going to do anything for your mph, they will help with et. next time you go, ice the blower. Let it sit a good 45-1hour between passes. I went a best of 11.6 @ 121 with a ported eaton, 474hp.

Not really sure on the DA. I just got my Xcal 2 dialed into my laptop so i will be doing some DataLogging to see if i cant find an issue right away. DR's and a Mcleod RXT would definately help though.

BadAzztt

Established Member
You will want to put that back on the dyno for sure to figure out what's going going on. I wouldn't say clutch due to the 1.9 60ft, that's actually darn good for street tires. MPH is way down. I would say heat soak could be a good amount but a lot of timing would need to be pulled to run that slow. I am at altitude on a 2.2 spinning the heck out of it and on a 90 degree day can tail trap 120mph. At lower elevations at your power you should be mid 120's easy...

BadAzztt

Established Member
The other thing is it is also losing it after the 1/8th mile, showing you are losing power up top. 91MPH in the 1/8 should equal 119-121 MPH in the quarter on these cars. My 91mph 1/8 passes I have seen as high as 123 through the quarter.

Jcobra03

import reaper
Established Member
another thing is that 16lbs on that blower is barely turning it that's a big blower .but still that's terrible mph for even a stock blower car with mods. you might wanna start simple and check the plugs and data log .

Last edited:

19935.slow

Established Member
I disagree with the above, the car is pretty consistent from the 8th to the quarter. I would expect a 115 maybe 116 mph out the back door in the 8th, but if your car isn't making the advertised power... which I doubt it is, and is heat soaked it wont trap the best it could anyways.

So something is seriously wrong. You should easily go 97 to 98 in the 8th and prob 128 or 129 in the quarter.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Yeah something is definitely wrong, my car made 200 less than yours and I trapped a 115. Like someone else said with a 1.9 short time I highly doubt the clutch is going. Have you checked to see if the intercooler pump is working? I'm sure it doesn't take long to heat soak that big blower. The 1/8th mph is way down and then it's really falling off uptop.

Last edited:

SVTPete83

Established Member
Truth is there is no way that car is making 600 hp. 600 should get 123-130 traps. 112mph and youre making 400-450. I hope your motor didnt get hurt on that dyno op. If I was you I wouldn't be looking into clutch issues so much as I would be looking at compression.

Users who are viewing this thread