Dirty plugs

bmitchell373

Established Member
Pulled plugs to check today, car is at 38k miles. I am one of the lucky ones who is burning a qt of oil every 1000-1500 miles. Tops of pistons are pretty "sludgy" and plug threads had some good oil on them. Anyone else have this issue? I have simple tune, intake and cat deletes only.

IMAG0121_zps782fda01.jpg

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I burned at least a qt/1000mi for the first 10,000 miles, and then it just stopped. I have no clue why. Now I don't even add a qt between 5000 mile oil changes. My plugs have always had oil like that on them. I have almost 30,000 miles now and 10,000 with a TVS. I drive my car pretty hard, and I haven't had any performance loss yet. I worried about it at first, but now I don't. I think if something was seriously wrong, it wouldn't have lasted 10,000 miles being driven hard with a S/C.

PS- the color is hard to really tell on a computer screen. Is the tip white, or cardboard'ish?

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I would think moving to a breather system or a catch can would help a lot?

Honestly not sure, but holy shit at 15,000 ish miles when I pulled the manifold and cleaned everything then put it back on and installed breathers, there was just engine oil everywhere.

When I then removed that intake to put the boss intake on, there wasn't any oil at all.

bmitchell373

Established Member
I have catch can on it. Its not white just light brown oil/carbon. It seems to run fine. Crap in cylinders just ups the compression :D lol

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have catch can on it. Its not white just light brown oil/carbon. It seems to run fine. Crap in cylinders just ups the compression :D lol

well...the catch cans are well known to not work that great :D.

haha. I have no idea. My car has never eaten oil though. I know at first Ford kept over filling my engine oil some because the dealership knew, after the third change of not loosing oil I told them to cut that out haha.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Just my personal experience here but my car used to burn oil but since I switched to amsoil 5w30 it hasn't used a drop.

Big reason why I switched to 10w30. No more oil consumption. 5w20 is just too thin.

bmitchell373

Established Member
I did switch to amsoil 5-30 this last change and it has gotten alot better. But the one before was the amsoil 5-20 and i was a qt every 1000 pretty much now id say ima a qt every 3000 but will know when i put more miles on it.

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
This plug tells me the car is running lean as f@&k! The electrode should have a very light brown color not white. If its to rich the plugs are usually dark brown/black. Just my experience with other motors. What tune are you running? And do ALL the plugs look like this?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
This plug tells me the car is running lean as f@&k! The electrode should have a very light brown color not white. If its to rich the plugs are usually dark brown/black. Just my experience with other motors. What tune are you running? And do ALL the plugs look like this?

Yeah, I thought white meant lean.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
You can't read a plug that has been in a car being driven around "normally" like this. Of course it will be light in color, the car is lean under normal driving conditions. Those plugs are rough anyways, and should be replaced.

Be sure to gap them and use a little anti seize on the new plugs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread