Dirt Bike folks

musclefan21

Established Member
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all the input. I already bought a FOX helmet, gloves, jersey, pants, a O’Neal boots, full body armor, knee guards. I didn’t buy a neck brace, maybe I should buy that too.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
You're on the right track with getting all the gear. I saw the Rekluse as a suggestion. It's a great addition, but you may want to learn clutch use first. I'm older and have a Rekluse on my 300xcw and love it. Also, look into Seat Concepts. Makes longer rides much more comfortable.

I started riding after I was an adult, so all those things that are instinctual for a rider from childhood are a little tougher for me. I ride with guys that are much younger and better than me. It forces me to ride better by copying their style.

Don't feel weird gearing up in full protective gear. As soon as you leave one of those pieces off, you're sure to fall on that part of your body. Good luck and have fun.

1 other thing, learn to wheelie, even if it's just for 1 second. You'll need this for getting over larger obstacles.

musclefan21

Established Member
This bike I am looking at is 230lbs I was told.

I feel like I should ride it out in an open field and figure the thing out before I do trail riding.

I will be doing pretty much trail riding. Not gonna lie, I am going into this blind and I truly hope I like it. If I don’t, I guess I will have a bike up for sale lol

MFE

Established Member
You can laugh all you want about chest protectors and other gear until you go down really hard without it. Chicks don’t dig scars enoigh to make it worth going without armor IMO.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m the guy out there on my raptor in my hoody jeans work boots helmet and gloves. I don’t even wear my goggles anymore

ViciousJay

Established Member
This bike I am looking at is 230lbs I was told.

I feel like I should ride it out in an open field and figure the thing out before I do trail riding.

I will be doing pretty much trail riding. Not gonna lie, I am going into this blind and I truly hope I like it. If I don’t, I guess I will have a bike up for sale lol

Bro, with a bump shoulder, take that into account! I'll say this the one thing that ever kept me from riding regardless of street or trail riding is having to be on the lookout of everything. Did you finally get tired of wearing flannel's and plying old grunge music? haha. Kidding bro, if I an make a recommendation, take a class on cooking and learning how to cut fish and smoke or cook it. Save your money, CARS AND BIKES ARE ****ING MONEY PITS!

IF IT FLOATS, FLIES, DRIVES OR F***'S, LEASE IT!

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Man! The good ol’ days! Sport quads and dirt bikes have been put to the back because of all these UTV “drivers”. It’s nice to see someone getting in to one of the greatest American pastime activities ever!

I miss it, and I wish more people still done it! Go out and have a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, please dress up like RC.

This guy was on a short ride, hit a little tree stump sticking up about 10in. he was wearing leather work boots, ended up losing the big toe.

Pay up for a good pair of MX boots, Pay up for a good helmet/goggles and a neck brace.

Most dirt bike riding pantS and jerseys will offer better air flow than jeans and will dry out quickly if you get wet. They also offer better protection in most cases.

I like to ride with gloves that have good knuckle protection, every little piece of gear counts.

the one time I decided not to wear my knee pads I ended up getting a nice gash from a trail sign nailed to a tree.

better safe than sorry and even fully geared up you can still get hurt pretty bad.
Probably a good thing he lost his big toe, ****er was too lazy to maintain that goblin nail.

Blackoyote

Established Member
A few things - welcome to the addiction!

I bought a dirt bike back in 2016 to use for 'off season' cross training for the motorcycle road racing. Having a BMX background of 20+ years, I got comfortable really quickly. Fast forward, it's become my primary sport - mainly the hard/extreme enduro flavor. From time to time I'll do a hare scramble or standard enduro, but those things are like being on auto pilot.

That said here's a bit of knowledge to help with your learning curve:

1) Stand when you can, only sit when you MUST. You can not go fast sitting down, period.

2) Work on low speed clutch/maneuvering. Do figure 8s in your yard as slow and tight as you possibly can.

3) Get comfortable sliding the bike around with the rear brake. Do some rear brake only drills in open areas, or at slower pace on some trails. Learn how to properly use the front brake (progressive as to load the suspension/front tire), otherwise you'll lose the front under panic braking.

4) Get some knee braces. I scoffed at them because they're expensive, but I finally got some after 2 years of riding. Literally saved me from months of PT and a few surgeries the first time wearing them (had a guy in front of me on a crazy climb 12 o'clock his bike down the mountain side and took me out, his bike landed on my right knee. Still was able to finish the race because of the braces as well!). I found mine for a steal, brand new in box, on eBay for $220. Keep your eyes pealed for deals, that was a $700 set MSRP.

5) Quality boots are a must once you pick up any speed; hinged ankle protection with a solid toe box. If you start riding trails and catch one ankle breaker without them, you'll know why I say this.

6) STAND UP!

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
You can laugh all you want about chest protectors and other gear until you go down really hard without it. Chicks don’t dig scars enoigh to make it worth going without armor IMO.

Don't know what riding OP is all planning on doing but getting pelleted by a roost from the guy in front of you is not pleasant lol.

If you go to a track, make sure you go out in the noob sessions and be careful with the front brake.

2 strokes FTW

08mojo

Established Member
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all the input. I already bought a FOX helmet, gloves, jersey, pants, a O’Neal boots, full body armor, knee guards. I didn’t buy a neck brace, maybe I should buy that too.

Good job on getting the gear. The knee guards are a must. I sustained a compound fracture to my knee that could have been completely avoided with $40 knee guards. Now I wear knee braces when I ride (overkill, but I'm not going through that again).

For trail riding, I think a neck brace is too much. Just remember: it's (typically) only as dangerous as you make it.

You'll love the KTM 350--that's a badass bike. I don't know why everyone is doubting the reliability of KTM machines--there is a reason 90% of the newer bikes on the trails are KTMs. Me personally, I'm a ride red person.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Man! The good ol’ days! Sport quads and dirt bikes have been put to the back because of all these UTV “drivers”. It’s nice to see someone getting in to one of the greatest American pastime activities ever!

I miss it, and I wish more people still done it! Go out and have a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm hoping to get the wife and I quads some point this year. I had a three wheeler back in the day. I miss it.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
If you go to tracks, they require proper attire. Boots, helmet at the minimum. Sleeves and pants.

On your own at least have a good helmet and boots imo. I've ripped work boots out jumping bikes/atvs. Hell, shredded the side of one regular boot by trying to crank the bike but my foot slipped off the crank due to mud at a friends property. After that I wore dirt bike boots all the time. Knee braces are nice too, if you start pushing the bike.

It's your body, so dress as you wish no matter where you go.

I've was a moto/supercross track rider. So, I definitely wanted the most gear as possible. Seen way too many wrecks and have known guys getting seriously injured out there.

1996slowbra

Established Member
\
5) Quality boots are a must once you pick up any speed; hinged ankle protection with a solid toe box. If you start riding trails and catch one ankle breaker without them, you'll know why I say this.

I cant emphasize this point enough, if you go ham on any one gear item do it on boots, I have a set off crossfire 3's I spent god know how much on, BUT I am planning on keeping these boots literally forever and they are SRS so I can replace the soles when they wear out. I cant even tell you how many times they have already saved me, I do long adventure rides and dirt rides with them and they are fantastic.

I cant tell you how many stories I have heard from people who skimped on boots and ended up breaking a foot or an ankle.

I have found personal protection while riding to be very subjective, I have been riding since I was like 8 years old so I know exactly what my limits are and I wear very little beyond helmet and boots. If you are a new rider I would recommend you gear up like you are going to war. That being said I would pause on the leatte brace, they are expensive and unless you are really fast I doubt it would do more than hinder you as it restricts your range of motion in your neck. If you are doing woods ridings it basically useless. Honestly I use my leatte brace more mountain biking than I do Dirt biking.

Last edited:

trxcobra

Established Member
I used to race MX competitively for years until I went off to college. As others have said, head to boot protection is a must. Saved me from serious injury a few times for sure. I would feel embarrassed to ride in work boots or without a proper helmet. Sometimes I would wear jeans when ripping the local trails, no big deal.

I missed my old bike (2005 CR250R) for years and bought the exact one back roughly 8 years after selling it.
Pumped to get back in the saddle

Rct851

Established Member
I missed my old bike (2005 CR250R) for years and bought the exact one back roughly 8 years after selling it.
Pumped to get back in the saddle

Hang onto that thing this time! I’ve seen some great 2000’s Honda builds at the track lately. Such an iconic bike

nxhappy

Established Member
trust me when you wreck ....you will wish you were wearing every piece of gear possible. boots and helmet doesn't cut it...my uncle wrecked pretty hard, had full gear on, and it STILL looked like somebody beat his entire body with a baseball bat.

Users who are viewing this thread