Dirt bike folks. 2 stroke or 4 Stroke debate

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I am thinking about buying another bike. I've had quads my whole life racing hare scrambles and riding trails around the farm. I had a sx125 that was a blast for about a year and a half but sold it when we moved.

Fast forward 5.5 years I want to buy another bike. Either a sx250 or yz250x or hell a yz125 if they are on sale.
But debating on the kx250f.... It looks amazing and the fork design is epic.

125/250 2 stroke

Pros: cheap to maint
No valves, cam, timing chain to destroy
Power band is a a blast
No engine braking

Cons: worse fuel consumption
No engine braking
A lot more shifting
Powerband can make or break you
Foul plugs
No traction

250f

Pros: torque monster
Traction galore
14k Rpm!!!
Easier to ride over longer period
Engine braking
Top end is amazing
More people ride them now
Efi.....?

Cons:
Expensive to rebuild.
Oil changes like crazy
Valve adjustments
Hard to start, and stalls easier
Engine braking
Heavier (though they are getting lighter)
Efi....

Yamaha has a shitty efi. My buddies yzf450 stalls like crazy. But up top it's nasty instant response. Just doesn't hot idle well.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I'm a big 4 stroke fan, so that's my vote. The newer ones seem to have less issues hot starting too, I've kick started myself to exhaustion a couple times on my old DR, lol. Electric start is where it's at.

What type of terrain do you ride? Funny thing is I have always been on bikes, and now getting into quads. Have a modded 400ex and will likely get a 700 raptor next.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I'm a big 4 stroke fan, so that's my vote. The newer ones seem to have less issues hot starting too, I've kick started myself to exhaustion a couple times on my old DR, lol. Electric start is where it's at.

What type of terrain do you ride? Funny thing is I have always been on bikes, and now getting into quads. Have a modded 400ex and will likely get a 700 raptor next.

Farm land and woods..tight trails and some open farm land.

I had a 400ex big bore to a 440ex with lowbo 2 front end +6 and 3 on each
Side lone star axles
Full exhaust I think it was a stage 3 cam? Had to run race gas works suspension all the goodies. Won a good bit of hare scrambles on that bike even being 6 inches wider than stock.

I wouldn't mind riding a raptor 700! But dirt bikes seem to be on my mind more as of late.. Meh who knows I might look at the 700 as well.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I'm mainly interested in the 700 due to it being fuel injection, and a lot of suspension/frame improvements. been reading a lot of good things about them, as I am getting over carbs. It's 45* here today, my 400ex took a bit to start but got it going, the 350 raptor idled for a bit then stalled and didn't want to start again. Gave up after a few min since I was just starting them to get fluids cycling.

My 400 has intake, exhaust,jetted, cam, and 450 shocks. Considering a 440 stroker this winter. Irony is I want a 700 for the advancements, but keeping this one because it's so simple. I've bombed through puddles that sink it to the cylinder head and it keeps going. :lol1:

I am getting more into quads because of some of the headaches associated with bikes. Broke out my old DR350 and went riding with some friends. Went through a muddy area I had gone through a bunch of times on my 400 and ate it into the mud when a piece of a tree buried in the mud caught the wheel. Areas with a lot of ruts suck too, watched a few friends fight their way up some hills when the tires would bite.

Little stuff like that makes me appreciate four wheels. Rode 2 wheels for a long time, and just enjoy riding longer on the quads these days.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I'm mainly interested in the 700 due to it being fuel injection, and a lot of suspension/frame improvements. been reading a lot of good things about them, as I am getting over carbs. It's 45* here today, my 400ex took a bit to start but got it going, the 350 raptor idled for a bit then stalled and didn't want to start again. Gave up after a few min since I was just starting them to get fluids cycling.

My 400 has intake, exhaust,jetted, cam, and 450 shocks. Considering a 440 stroker this winter. Irony is I want a 700 for the advancements, but keeping this one because it's so simple. I've bombed through puddles that sink it to the cylinder head and it keeps going. :lol1:

I am getting more into quads because of some of the headaches associated with bikes. Broke out my old DR350 and went riding with some friends. Went through a muddy area I had gone through a bunch of times on my 400 and ate it into the mud when a piece of a tree buried in the mud caught the wheel. Areas with a lot of ruts suck too, watched a few friends fight their way up some hills when the tires would bite.

Little stuff like that makes me appreciate four wheels. Rode 2 wheels for a long time, and just enjoy riding longer on the quads these days.

Yeah I know that feeling... Motion pro twist throttle is my first investment on any of my race quads lol.

Meh I don't know why I'm craving to get on 2 wheels again. I hate locking that front brake and eating shit.... Or stopping on a trail and it's covered in leaves and yet again eating shit

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Throttle twist should be standard on a sport quad. Let a buddy use the raptor and his forearm was killing him at the end of the day. Going up rocky areas, it's easy to lose momentum when your thumb slides off.

Maybe check out a local rental place and rent a bike for a day and see if it cures the craving or you still want one after. Better to spend $200 instead of $5000 lol.

blk02edge

Established Member
I went from a 250f and 450f to a ktm 125sx and will never own another 4 stroke. I plan to get the yz250x as well as keep the 125sx. This could easily turn into a 5.0 vs cobra debate though haha

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I had a 2006 350 Raptor for years that I loved but gave me a lot of carb problems after 6 years so I ended up trading it off. If I ever own another atv though it'll most likely be a Banshee. I absolutely love the sound of 2 strokes but I've never owned one. I never was into bikes after I flipped my buddies kx125 the first time I rode it trying to do a wheelie lol though lately I've really been considering the idea of finding a nice two stroke dirtbike since I miss riding in general so much and something new is always fun

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I went from a 250f and 450f to a ktm 125sx and will never own another 4 stroke. I plan to get the yz250x as well as keep the 125sx. This could easily turn into a 5.0 vs cobra debate though haha

I have read and heard the yz250x is a very linear powerband the way they did the reeds. I just will miss the ktm hydraulic clutch! Yamaha can't cheap out a hydraulic setup vs cable setup.

I had a 2006 350 Raptor for years that I loved but gave me a lot of carb problems after 6 years so I ended up trading it off. If I ever own another atv though it'll most likely be a Banshee. I absolutely love the sound of 2 strokes but I've never owned one. I never was into bikes after I flipped my buddies kx125 the first time I rode it trying to do a wheelie lol though lately I've really been considering the idea of finding a nice two stroke dirtbike since I miss riding in general so much and something new is always fun

Lmao yeah I rode my supervisors sons kx85 the other day and damn them little powerbands on 65/85's are ridiculous!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I grew up on 2 strokes.
60-100-250cc. Awesome bikes for open space. However, after riding 250f and a 450f, I'm a 4 stroke guy now.

Never had any reliability issues with my Kawi 450f, put over 40 hours on it, got it used too, and the valves were still in perfect spec.
Now with the fuel injection, and tuning on the fly, you can really change the characteristics of the bike in a minute.
Had a blast in trails and moto/supercross styled tracks with a 450. Ate dirt a lot at the SX track.

Rct851

Established Member
I cant comment on what will be more fun or useful for the type of riding you are looking to do as im a mx track only guy but id like to throw my 2 cents in on the 4 stroke cons. 1. valve adjustments, ive had yz250f motors pounded for 80 hours and the valves still in spec. 2. I have no problem starting the bike within 3 kicks when hot. it used to be more difficult on the early model 450's but not so much anymore. 3. I love the engine braking on the 4 stroke. not only do I feel like I can brake later and harder but it has saved my ass a few times trying to push with bad arm pump and I couldn't reach the front brake. just don't chop throttle on jump faces.

The Yamaha sss SPRING front forks are the best. don't get to caught up in the "super trick" air fork. paying close attention to the factory guys bike you will notice a lot of them are not running air forks.

edit: as soon as I get a boss intake on my 5bro it game ****ing over

motoman991

Banned
There is a huge difference between a 250 two stroke and 125 two stroke. The 125 two strokes are torqueless turds that only move when the engines are screaming.

I'm partial to two strokes. They sound better, easier to maintain make more power for their size and weight.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
This is a question of wether you want to spend more time riding or wrenching.

Premixing fuel/oil, constantly fouling and changing/sparkplugs, rejecting the carbs anytime the temp changes more than 10 degrees, new pistons and rings every year and various other shenanigans. :rolleyes:

me personally i enjoy just filling up from the pump and going about my merry way. But thats just me

**puts on 2 flame suits**

:pop:

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
This is a question of wether you want to spend more time riding or wrenching.

Premixing fuel/oil, constantly fouling and changing/sparkplugs, rejecting the carbs anytime the temp changes more than 10 degrees, new pistons and rings every year and various other shenanigans. :rolleyes:

me personally i enjoy just filling up from the pump and going about my merry way. But thats just me

**puts on 2 flame suits**

:pop:

Premix is easy as can be..

My ktm never fouled plugs

Piston and rings were no biggie to me every 125 hours of riding.

But tearing a 4 stroke apart I'm
Like wtf... Id rather tear apart a mod motor lol

Rct851

Established Member
Premix is easy as can be..

My ktm never fouled plugs

Piston and rings were no biggie to me every 125 hours of riding.

But tearing a 4 stroke apart I'm
Like wtf... Id rather tear apart a mod motor lol
If you're getting 125 hours from a 2 stroke top end then a properly maintained 4 stroke will run forever for you.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
If you're getting 125 hours from a 2 stroke top end then a properly maintained 4 stroke will run forever for you.

Yeah it's tight trails and open fields. The occasional track riding at the atv park

I just wanna have fun and ride, not getting broke up.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah it's tight trails and open fields. The occasional track riding at the atv park

I just wanna have fun and ride, not getting broke up.

Basic maintenance on a 4 stroke will give you hours upon hours of enjoyment without any hiccups.
IIRC, when I used to ride/race, the only bikes that had picky valves were the Hondas, but that was 2010-2011, so maybe their reliability has gone up.

nxhappy

Established Member
I had a KTM250 smoker. That thing was a ****ing monster. But it would suck gas like a 2 time whore, and I HATED mixing gas. It was a great bike, just not for my long desert rides. In fact I ran out of gas multiple times, boy I wish I had extra fuel lol.

The 4 strokes are great because they SIP gas compared to the smokers. But if the motor blows up, you might as well scrap the entire bike. My Honda buddies are CONSTANTLY ****ing around with their 450s.. so I wouldn't touch a Honda. I previously had a Yami 450f, it was a great reliable bike. Although I didn't like the gearing as it only had 4 gears. Right now I have a KTM 450f. It is by far one of my favorite bikes.

Users who are viewing this thread