direct tranny replacement?

98svtconvert

Established Member
i have a 98 cobra and am wondering what transmissions are a direct replacement to the stock t-45? the year/make of the car that the tranny comes in would help as well. thanks.

Justin

RWtorque

Established Member
i have a 98 cobra and am wondering what transmissions are a direct replacement to the stock t-45? the year/make of the car that the tranny comes in would help as well. thanks.

Justin

All I've seen are the Tremec's at Ford Racing part # M-7003-R58H. Have not really gone into this too far yet because mines in pretty good shape still. Just replaced the clutch ass w/ford racing kit and it shifts so much better now.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
TR-3650 out of a newer Mustang (I would look for 03-04 GT/Mach 1) will bolt right in, you simply have to use a speedo calibrator.

A couple versions of the T-56 will bolt in, a couple others require a different "mid plate", input shaft, and bellhousing to work.

TKO500/600 will work with the correct bellhousing, but they're clunky, I don't know if I'd spend the money to do one when a T-56 is a better option for not much (if any) more money.

RWtorque

Established Member
TR-3650 out of a newer Mustang (I would look for 03-04 GT/Mach 1) will bolt right in, you simply have to use a speedo calibrator.

A couple versions of the T-56 will bolt in, a couple others require a different "mid plate", input shaft, and bellhousing to work.

TKO500/600 will work with the correct bellhousing, but they're clunky, I don't know if I'd spend the money to do one when a T-56 is a better option for not much (if any) more money.
This subject has brought up a question I have. Why do I read where some people are saying that the T5/T45's are not good tranny's ? I have not had any issues with mine. I am the third owner so I suppose someone could have gone in and rebuilt it with better parts. Please in-lighten me. This is my first Mustang with this tranny in it.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Most common ailment is cracked shift forks.. plus the gearsets aren't much bigger/better than the old T-5. If you put sticky tires on and start drag-racing and powershifting a T-45, just like a T-5 it'll break.

Also just like a T-5 if you drive it normally and keep the right fluid in it, it will last a really long time.

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
Call D&D get a Viper Spec. T-56 kit, they will send you everything you need except the clutch. But if you want to they can even send you that. I got mine from them with the crossmember, tranny with bellhousing for my 98, the custom length single piece aluminum driveshaft, reused the throwout bearing fork and it works great, I rag the hell out of my car and its held up to my craziness.

RWtorque

Established Member
Call D&D get a Viper Spec. T-56 kit, they will send you everything you need except the clutch. But if you want to they can even send you that. I got mine from them with the crossmember, tranny with bellhousing for my 98, the custom length single piece aluminum driveshaft, reused the throwout bearing fork and it works great, I rag the hell out of my car and its held up to my craziness.
Just curious, how much did this package set you back approx ? Did they include a short throw shifter ?

Last edited:

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
I'd have to look, I really have no idea, it included a shifter, no handle though, call them and tell them what you need. I've had mine for like 4 years so prices may have changed. They do build the toughest, last I heard nobody had broken one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread