Direct injection pump tech??

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
Any vendors working on the main thing that is going to hold back these DI engines of the future...the pump? I figured since the DI engine is finally in a high volume American sports car, it would entice the aftermarket to come up with a solution. I understand the limited production SHO held development back, but now with the Mustang and GT using DI technology, there must be some development going on....?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The problem is that there's a lot more to it than just upgrading the pump. There are significant tuning hurdles to consider. In the short term, meth injection will hold the key to more power production.

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
Fuel injection came to us in 1986, and I remember everyone was confused. What was it, about 1992/1993 when the Ford community really started making progress? Wonder how long this "new" technology will take... I am anxiously going to sit back and watch this new exciting era unfold!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well the good thing is that the issues with upgrading the pump have been around since the EcoBoost engines were introduced. Companies like Livernois who are very familiar with the EB have been working on solutions for some time now.

Andy@Livernois

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The DI applications are definitely great, to a point. Running out of fuel is a part of life with them for now. We definitely are working on some things currently that we hope we can get towards a price point that is reachable, but as mentioned in here, it won't be just a aprts change and that's all. It will require significant rewriting of the ECM's logic to allow these mechanical changes to work. It's a ways out still, but we're working on it :)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The DI applications are definitely great, to a point. Running out of fuel is a part of life with them for now. We definitely are working on some things currently that we hope we can get towards a price point that is reachable, but as mentioned in here, it won't be just a aprts change and that's all. It will require significant rewriting of the ECM's logic to allow these mechanical changes to work. It's a ways out still, but we're working on it :)

Glad you guys are on the job. The aftermarket certainly needs a solution. Nobody wants to be capped in the mid 300s on fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread