Dinged my Windshield

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
I took the KR out for a spirted drive last night and heard that dredded sound..ping. Looked at it today and it was a deep ding. Anyone have some advice for the fix. I know a new windshield is my future...sucks.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Have it looked at by a professional. Some rock pecks do better never being repaired, others can be drilled and filled with little effect on the longevity of the windshield.

If all else fails don't forget many insurance policies will cover the costs for little to nothing out of pocket.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Will do thanks for the comeback. Ping is centered on the windshield and no sign of spider marks...yet.

I got one that had small cracks starting (happened in June) and probably should have just left it alone. Went to drill it and it only made things worse. From that point I just guided the cracks out of my line of vision until I replaced the windshield. If I would have left the stupid thing alone it would have lasted much longer.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
1.) Press a spring-loaded center punch in the eye of the ding. 2.) Give your agent a call.

Alternately, I've used some of the fix-a-windshield (Prestone?) kits with amazing success in the past. Clean the area, heat with a heat gun or hair dryer, applying the epoxy, and scrape residue off with a razor blade. It penetrates the ding/crack and is very nearly transparent. If you decide you don't like it use can always you my aforementioned advice.

Last edited:

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
I'm going to have safelite take a look (should be repairable) and of course get an agent involved - thanks. This place is notorious for rocks and stuff, I've had windshields replaced on 2 of my other cars with harder hits.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
fill in at Safelite... Have done it 3x, always worked well, and if you have glass coverage and let the ins co arrange it. no out of pocket most of the time

ICUNVN

Established Member
x2 on safe light. ive taken 2 good ones in the shelby and about 4 to my h2. they fix them all. you can still see it,but with as much as i drive my car, ill get more.

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
x2 on safe light. ive taken 2 good ones in the shelby and about 4 to my h2. they fix them all. you can still see it,but with as much as i drive my car, ill get more.

Thats good to know (I think...) Don't want the Shelby to be a moving target. :lol1:

NJSP117

Established Member
+3 on Safelite...always have had good results with them. Good luck! I hate hearing that crack od the rock hitting the windshield...sounds like you've been shot!

ICUNVN

Established Member
Thats good to know (I think...) Don't want the Shelby to be a moving target. :lol1:

something ive just come to be ok with. this poor car has taken more random damage than any other car ive had. last one was tires. i went thru about 4 sets of tires in 3 years from running over the most random things.

now i get rock chips, other vehicles kick stuff up at me. its sad. ill prob need a new front bumper and paint soon:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread