digital pocket picking

OhIIICobra

Established Member
When some loser starts waving a laptop sized object around my ass or my wife's ass he is getting analog punched in the face. Personal space and vigilance are your friend.

TK Doom

Established Member
Ok guys, just FYI. That copier means nothing under PCI security laws.

1) That company in the video that sent the sweater? They'll get a chargeback.
2) PCI (Payment card industry) laws make it pretty stringent on how things are done.
3) CVV is there for your protection. If the merchant lets that go through, they are asking for trouble.

It'll work, but not that often. And its not like the owner of the card is going to be held liable anyway.

I'm a PCI ISA, there is so much paranoia over credit card fraud, thats why the US is finally going EMV (Chip and Pin).

We'll see what happens when that occurs in October. Hopefully fraud will decline, I doubt it, since all those major breaches were inside jobs.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Not sure how it was done but last week I had $1809 withdrawn from a Wells Fargo ATM up in D.C. I still had my card. I'm getting credited for the money but it's still cost me money.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My credit card isn't nfc, and my debit card is chip and pin. If I get skimmed, I don't care. The charges will be dropped and a new card sent over night.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
One problem is yeah we get our money back but the merchant doesn't. In order to offset costs the price of goods goes up, thus we are paying for the theft in one way or another.

TK Doom

Established Member
Well, you're paying for the use of credit cards and perks in the form of higher prices anyway.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Well, you're paying for the use of credit cards and perks in the form of higher prices anyway.

Higher APRs and fees come from the deadbeats that don't pay their bills or run their cards up with the intention of filing bankruptcy. You pay for higher cost of goods to offset loss through theft whether five finger discount or by charge backs from credit cards. When a charge back happens the credit company gets their money back in most circumstances from the vendor. The vendor will receive a charge back notification, it is then their responsibility to fax the signed receipt and any other documentation needed to the company handling it. If they feel you are in the wrong or could have done something to prevent the transaction the money is then taken from you, so now you are out a sale and product. Shortage has to be covered some way which is usually by charging higher prices.

Just like insurance, your rates go up no matter how your history is based on those around you.

TK Doom

Established Member
And?

My statement still applies, and higher APRs and deadbeats would never apply to someone that doesn't use the floating part of a credit card.

The amount of CC payment for goods has gone up dramatically. That means an automatic loss for retailers. Those retailers have already raised prices to cover that.

:shrug:

TK Doom

Established Member
No, they can't, they can simply shift accountability.

That is what PCI is all about. Should have never been created. Its a horrible thing, costs businesses THOUSANDS of dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread