difficult to shift in all gears after being in stop and go traffic

ericmuscle

Established Member
there was and accident on the interstate and we were in stop and go traffic for an hour and cover 1 mile in distance. car is a manual and was driving in 1st gear for a few feet then stop place car in neutral then back in first over and over again. after a while i had to force the shifter in 1st gear along with all other gears while at a stop. was always able to get car in gear but it took more force than usual. after the accident cleared and back on the road after a few minutes the shifting problem disappear.

anyone have this issue before?
is this normal and created due to alot of heat and issues cleared due to car moving?
whats the fix?
i never replaced trans fluid but will soon due to better products than stock fluid.
mods in signature.

ericmuscle

Established Member
+1 on the clutch was hot .

anyway to prevent this from happening...ive been driving manuals for 20 years. i didnt notice any clutch smell or slipping after driving......should i just keep the trans in 1st in stop/go traffic at that pace instead of disengaging and engaging the clutch from 1st to neutral to keep from having issues getting trans in gear?

Zemedici

Established Member
Yes that's what I do. Just use the clutch. But heavy traffic isn't fun no matter which way you look at it.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I have a mach so I have the t3650.... what I do is keep it in 2nd gear most of the time in traffic if Im moving at all. Im able to go alot slower in 2nd gear without get the jerky feeling like 1st.

Last edited:

badjuicedgt

Established Member
do you have an adjustable clutch cable I had one on one of my old cars and I will never use one again I bought a brand new one and they are too long everytime I would drive the car for awhile the cable would stretch and I would loose the clutch,once the car cooled off I would have a clutch. I went back to the stock clutch cable and never had a problem again.

ericmuscle

Established Member
do you have an adjustable clutch cable I had one on one of my old cars and I will never use one again I bought a brand new one and they are too long everytime I would drive the car for awhile the cable would stretch and I would loose the clutch,once the car cooled off I would have a clutch. I went back to the stock clutch cable and never had a problem again.

stock cable

badjuicedgt

Established Member
It very well could be the cable is stretched out, if it was me I would get a new cable and try it that's the cheapest way to go too.

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
One thing I've read before is that you can pull the clutch pedal up (put your foot behind it and lift). If I remember correctly, it can help if you have a slightly notchy feel to the the gears. I do it every once in a while when I happen to think of it. I have no why this would help.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Sometimes I have a hard time getting it back into first if I don't disengage the clutch out while in neutral. Like at a red light - if I hold the clutch in but put the car in neutral - I sometimes have a hard time getting it back into first. But if I let go of the clutch and reengage the shift seems to become smooth again.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Adjustment...

very common issue...oem stock setup is lift up hard on clutch..has self adjuster..

Its common for these to lose adjustment. .cause if you side step pedal and let it fly up adjustment will loosen..

these will wear out being made of plastic..

I just recently upgraded to aluminum and heavyduty cable..made a huge difference over oem as to pedal being much easier to push

Users who are viewing this thread