Differential question...

DepWraith

Established Member
Want to pull the torsen out and put a traction lok in with 3.73's.

Can anyone verify that FRPP # M-4204-F318C or OEM # ar3z-4026-a will fit?

Came across info somewhere that said it wouldn't fit a '13 GT500 but no explanation was provided and can't think of a reason why it wouldn't.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I dont see why it would not fit, the rear is essentially the same. The only difference I know of is the ring and pinion is that of a F150 I believe? someone will chime in

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I forget the exact terminology, but I believe what the word is that ring and pinion is the same thats found in the f150, beefer I guess

Bad as L

Established Member
It's the large bearing on the pinion shaft that is from a new F150, other than that I have not read of any changes that would prevent the install of that posi.

Colleton

Established Member
I'm slightly baffled as to why you would want to make this change.

I get that feeling all the time here when I see some of the things people want to do to their cars. It's taught me one thing though - NEVER buy one of these cars used unless you're sure that it has NEVER been modded. There's just no telling what's been done to it otherwise.

phil123

Established Member
I get that feeling all the time here when I see some of the things people want to do to their cars. It's taught me one thing though - NEVER buy one of these cars used unless you're sure that it has NEVER been modded. There's just no telling what's been done to it otherwise.
+1

Also applies to expensive stereo equipment.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Consider pulling the entire axle assembly and swapping in an FRPP unit. Sell the Torsen assembly to recoup costs. It's a simple swap. I've done it twice as well as swapping gears.

DepWraith

Established Member
Because I'm using the car more for drag racing and as I'm sure you are well aware, the torsen diff does not respond well to being shocked. With 707lbs of torque at the wheels I'm a little worried about the differential failing.

I'm slightly baffled as to why you would want to make this change.

The torsen differential is much better than a trac-loc. If you want to upgrade, the best differential to purchase would be a Wavetrac. Here is a link explaining why they are better

Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference

Then click on How It's Different

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Because I'm using the car more for drag racing and as I'm sure you are well aware, the torsen diff does not respond well to being shocked. With 707lbs of torque at the wheels I'm a little worried about the differential failing.

There is another thread on here where someone else is afraid the Trac-Lock will fail from a shock load. :shrug:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I broke a Torsen T2 at the drag strip in my turbo '93 Cobra. It literally crumbled on launch, locked up the diff and snapped the output shaft on my Tremec.

Trying to drag race with a Torsen proved to be very expensive for me. After rebuilding it all, I replaced the Torsen with a Ford t-loc and ran it for 3 more years problem free.

I really want to run a Torsen in my '05 because I really do love how they work, but I'm gun shy. I won't do it. I'm more likely going to run a Trutrac, or a Wavetrac.

Dave G

Established Member
If you go with a traction-lok make sure the bearing fit dimensions are checked before it's put in...use some loctite to hold the inner sleeves(especially the left side). Maximum allowable interference fit would be ideal. Use the least number of shims on each side as possible...order the proper sizes if you need to...don't stack them if u don't have to. I don't have any ideas for making sure the last steel spacer (that contacts the diff housing) doesn't spin and wear the carrier. If you ever have one wheel peel at the track...Stop abusing it and rebuild it. Have pinion shims used instead of a crush sleeve (ratech kit). Make sure to use high quality carrier bearings and make sure the tech understands how to set proper carrier preload, check the pattern, etc, it needs to be as close to perfect as possible. Use a girdle cover. Make sure to follow a good break in procedure...it's all about heat! Do some research. Educate yourself so you can ask questions to make sure you get a proper installation. I haven't had good luck with the traction-lok personally but others have. I suspect I haven't had proper installations done...wish I had the setup/tools to do it myself. Do your best to not shock load it...launch as soft as you can and avoid wheel hop! No clutch dumps...it will shorten the life of the unit drastically. If someone invented a diff. with heavy duty springs incorporated somehow for shock loading (like a clutch disc has) that would the shit.
http://www.differentials.com/technical-help/installation-instructions

Last edited:

Dave G

Established Member
Does anybody have any personal experience with a wavetrac for drag racing use? I'm thinking about upgrading to one.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I put a T2R in my '90 coupe. Ratech kit, FRPP gears, Superior axles, girdle, blah, blah. At the time, it was understood that the Torsen unit was not drag friendly. Repeated shock loading and BOOM! Fast forward to current and SVT is using it in just such an application, with hordes of media running the '13 all day at the drag strip. I was in disbelief....and still am.

railroad

Established Member
Does anybody have any personal experience with a wavetrac for drag racing use? I'm thinking about upgrading to one.

Randy's Ring and Pinion carries partically any gear and carrier made. They are very informed about what works and what does not. Check out their website and see if anything looks good.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I put a T2R in my '90 coupe. Ratech kit, FRPP gears, Superior axles, girdle, blah, blah. At the time, it was understood that the Torsen unit was not drag friendly. Repeated shock loading and BOOM! Fast forward to current and SVT is using it in just such an application, with hordes of media running the '13 all day at the drag strip. I was in disbelief....and still am.

I am too. I want to run one, but I don't trust it holding up. I think the Trutrac is the way I'm going to go.

Users who are viewing this thread