Differential lube change instructions.

kaos

Established Member
I did a quick search and all I could find was that I need a pump to take out the fluid. What kind of pump would I need? Also I have the specs on how much to put in, but let's say you don't know how much is in there. Can you you just fill it until you hit the fill hole?

Thanks.

RioRed4v

Established Member
just crack the cover loose, let it all drain out, and then pop the plug out from the top of the diff, and fill it back up to specs.

railroad

Established Member
A wise person will drill and tap the bottom of the case when they have access to do so. This makes the fluid change so easy. I wish I had been so wise when I changed gears.
good luck,

kaos

Established Member
Originally posted by RioRed4v
just crack the cover loose, let it all drain out, and then pop the plug out from the top of the diff, and fill it back up to specs.

I take it that it's pretty easy to do that then? Nothing else needs to be removed?

RioRed4v

Established Member
nope, you should be able to get access to the bolts to get the cover off, and apply a new gasket/or RTV. once you let it drain, just pop the cover back on, and fill 'er up.

p.s. yea, its easy to do, just smelly as hell.

kaos

Established Member
Actually I like the smell. I had a bottle of friction modifier in my room for two-three weeks and I really liked the smell. My friend thought I was crazy.

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
Originally posted by RioRed4v
NO, not if you still have the IRS! Once you crack it loose you have to re-seal it. In order to reseal is you need to remove the differential from the IRS to completely remove the cover. The differential is mounted to the IRS by the back cover.

BAD IDEA. :bash:

Either get a suction gun at your local parts store or you can drill it but make sure you don't drill it right under the ring gear, clearance is tight there. If you drill it and then tap it make sure to keep grease on the tap to collect the metal shaving stuck to it and then run some fluid into the unit to let it flush out any shaving you missed. You will still need a suction/pump gun to put the fluid in.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by 99_venum
NO, not if you still have the IRS! Once you crack it loose you have to re-seal it. In order to reseal is you need to remove the differential from the IRS to completely remove the cover. The differential is mounted to the IRS by the back cover.

Either get a suction gun at your local parts store or you can drill it but make sure you don't drill it right under the ring gear, clearance is tight there. If you drill it and then tap it make sure to keep grease on the tap to collect the metal shaving stuck to it and then run some fluid into the unit to let it flush out any shaving you missed. You will still need a suction/pump gun to put the fluid in.

ahh..nice. i was never told that before. thanks for the heads up.

for me, i guess i can still take the cover off and reseal like a normal rear-end.

kaos

Established Member
Originally posted by 99_venum

Thanks for that.

On Saturday I had some shop put in a bottle of friction modifier and he said it was still low so he was able to put in 1/2 qt of fluid before they could fell the fluid through the fill hole. So can the fill hole be used to determine the proper amount of fluid in the diff?

Users who are viewing this thread