Differential Expansion Tank

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
Is anyone running a differential expansion tank along with a differential cooler on their IRS? If so any recommendations on a particular unit.

I'm upgrading my cooler to an even bigger cooler this year after tearing up my current cooler somehow over a speedbump or something, and with all this extra fluid I'm thinking an expansion tank may be necessary? If I remember correctly with my old cooler I was running almost 2.5 quarts, I'll probably be at 3 or more, essentially doubling system capacity from stock and all that fluid needs somewhere to go when hot?

Thanks,

Justin

svtguy

Established Member
I've increased the size of my diff cooler a couple of times to keep temps in check. I'm currently using the heat exchanger from an 03/04 cobra for my diff cooler along with 2 spal fans. I extended the length of the diff vent hose and attached the open end to the fuel filter bracket. I don't use an expansion tank. As long as the diff temps stay below 250 degrees, it doesn't vent any fluid.

Paul.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
ya, it would only puke on the hottest summer days, at that point the gauge would be pegged at 250 after 20 mins so I'm hoping with the bigger cooler I can avoid this, I'll just get a longer hose for up top and see how it works.

svtguy

Established Member
ya, it would only puke on the hottest summer days, at that point the gauge would be pegged at 250 after 20 mins so I'm hoping with the bigger cooler I can avoid this, I'll just get a longer hose for up top and see how it works.

Since I installed my current diff cooler, I haven't had the diff temp go above 250. This current setup, diff+lines+cooler holds a total of 4 qts of fluid.

Paul.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread