differences in the '03-'04 Cobra racks?

torchenvy

I e-brake all FWD cars!
Established Member
what are the differences between the '03-'04 Cobra and GT/Mach1 steering racks?

I am going thru all kinds of hell trying to get a re-manufactured rack for my cobra; you cannot buy a new one, even from Ford. :kaboom:

The Terminator takes a different rack than the GT's and Mach1's, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to tell the difference besides the engraved part number? We have ordered 4 racks from Motorcraft and they all come in the right part numbered box, but the part #s that are hand engraved when they are re-manufactured all end in ZK; which denotes GT/Mach 1.

My parts guy is talking to the people that reman the racks and they are supposed to be getting me one with the proper part numbers and I want to make sure that they are going to give me the right one and not just carve the right part number in the wrong rack.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference, is the lock to lock count different between the two racks?

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
As far as I know, the only difference is in feel which comes from the torsion bar. ive not had a gt and cobra rack apart side by side so i have no idea if the cobra torsion bar is thicker, but it stands to reason that it would be.

good thing i kept the first rack i wore out, i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread