Differences in power steering rack?

Serfma

Established Member
Have a 96 Cobra and I've got a bunch of play in the steering wheel, and by observing the shaft while the steering wheel is moved back and forth it isn't the shaft. Now my next problem is I cannot find a power steering rack that isn't $350+ so I'm wondering if I can swap with a v6 or GT rack?

Cobranator

Established Member
Have a 96 Cobra and I've got a bunch of play in the steering wheel, and by observing the shaft while the steering wheel is moved back and forth it isn't the shaft. Now my next problem is I cannot find a power steering rack that isn't $350+ so I'm wondering if I can swap with a v6 or GT rack?

Not sure how much play you got but before replacing the steering rack try to adjust it. There is a large flat locking nut on the rack that you can loosen and with a 19 MM socket you can tighten the rack. I've done this on mine and it seemed to help though I didn't have bunch of play in mine just wanted to tighten the steering feel a bit as I thought there was a bit of slop in it.

Serfma

Established Member
Not sure how much play you got but before replacing the steering rack try to adjust it. There is a large flat locking nut on the rack that you can loosen and with a 19 MM socket you can tighten the rack. I've done this on mine and it seemed to help though I didn't have bunch of play in mine just wanted to tighten the steering feel a bit as I thought there was a bit of slop in it.

Have any photos or videos to show what you mean? I'd say I have about an inch of slop, or roughly around 10 degrees of play in the wheel. I can see the input shaft of the rack moving with the steering wheel but the wheels do not move, which is why I firmly believe it is the rack itself. If I can simply tighten it up that'd be great

Tillerman77

Established Member
Are you sure it is not the rack bushings that are sloppy? The bushings definitely get worn like most rubber bushings. I replaced mine on my 97 this year with MM solid steering rack bushings. Much tighter.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you sure it is not the rack bushings that are sloppy? The bushings definitely get worn like most rubber bushings. I replaced mine on my 97 this year with MM solid steering rack bushings. Much tighter.

I've recommended them for years. It was one of the best mods I ever did to my car as far as steering/suspension goes.

Users who are viewing this thread