Differences in power between stock Cobras... a theory.

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
harry gilbert asked a very interesting question in this thread:

Could the differences in power between various Cobras be caused by the TB blade not opening completely at WOT - could the gas pedal be hitting the floor before this happens? I remember someone suggesting "taking out the mat" at the track, a long while ago.

Just something to consider.

~Berj

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by Andorion
harry gilbert asked a very interesting question in this thread:

Could the differences in power between various Cobras be caused by the TB blade not opening completely at WOT - could the gas pedal be hitting the floor before this happens? I remember someone suggesting "taking out the mat" at the track, a long while ago.

Just something to consider.

~Berj

I don't think there is an exact answer, there are just too many variables to try to explain the differences.

interesting though

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
You are referring to what is called the TB Bump Stop Mod in the LS1 world. It's a mod that opens your TB blade to 90degrees because some of them didn't come that way from the factory.

grnenvy

Established Member
I think that the cars with a QUD2 computer are faster and that would be the first run cars. Me and my buddy both have QUD2 cars and we both make atleast 480 at the wheels.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by grnenvy
I think that the cars with a QUD2 computer are faster and that would be the first run cars. Me and my buddy both have QUD2 cars and we both make atleast 480 at the wheels.

I dare say that's not stock. Modified it's anybody's game regardless of computer code...

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Andorion
I remember someone suggesting "taking out the mat" at the track
~Berj

I did that at the track..

The T/B is a possibility. I've seen it on other year Mustangs. Taking up slack with spacers (zip ties) on the cable at the pedal connection takes care of it.

Edit: Here's a how-to. They used hose or a spacer, I've seen zip ties work too.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm

Last edited:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I talked with dyno operator this weekend while I dynoed my car about this. He said the early cars were up about 370 to 380. Lowest he had seen was 335 in the heat of the summer. Stated it was richer than the early cars. There was an 03 with similar miles than mine(1000mi) making 355. My car made 372 with slightly leaner A/F than his. With everything being the same it's all in the tune.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Actually I was also asking about the Eaton "core shift" that causes different amount of misalignment in the air flow. Couldn't that account for the 335 - 385 rwhp range we're getting from STOCK Cobras? But you're right, could be a few factors. But given computer control of timing and a/f ratio, what other factors could there be? And how could we "stock" guys eliminate the negative items without voiding the warranty?

For example: correcting throttle body, matching TB to Eaton, replacing bad out out-of-range sensors (the computer relies on info from sensors, bad input means bad timing and fuel calculations).

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I would lean more toward the difference in altitude and dyno accuracy than I would anything with the cars themselves.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
I would lean more toward the difference in altitude and dyno accuracy than I would anything with the cars themselves.
I agree. That and whether the car is run immediately right off the street or cooled down.

Users who are viewing this thread