Diff Lube After Gear Change

00Whitey

Established Member
Well finally got the 3:73's in tonight (again). Had to redo the pre load on pinion to get rid of a pretty bad decel whine. no more decel whine and and all is good, have a slight whine at 50 +, not bad but mildly noticeable.
Anyone have any suggestions on a good lube that might help with the slight speed whine ?

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I have a similar whine on decel around 45-60. I have the Lucas with the additive in it. Didn't want to spend the extra on the Royal Purple, but I wish I would have....I heard good things about the Amsoil stuff though as well as Royal Purple. Like stkjock said, make sure you have the friction modifier in there, but all three that I said have it in there already....

00Whitey

Established Member
I put Red Line in to start which has the modifer in it. Its there standard 75-140 syn., may try their Shock Proof version unless I can get a better suggestion.

00Whitey

Established Member
The Redline and the Royal Purple already have it added, others may as well. But I think if your running straight non synthetic you would use one.

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
Never hurts to have an extra bottle in. I use royal purple that already has te modifier in it but I always add an extra bottle

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Also, don't know if you looked at the break in process for these gears or not, but improper break-in can cause whine issues as well. Not trying to say that you didn't break them in properly, but just an FYI and to prevent any further whine if you hadn't looked at it...

00Whitey

Established Member
Also, don't know if you looked at the break in process for these gears or not, but improper break-in can cause whine issues as well. Not trying to say that you didn't break them in properly, but just an FYI and to prevent any further whine if you hadn't looked at it...

No prob., I have done two rounds of heat cycles with them. Both have the same slight whine at 50 +, then goes away or cant hear anymore due to road noise exhaust, or just bad hearing, ha !
Plan to redo the fluid to the Red Line Shock Proof later today or tomorrow, I'll post results afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread