Diff issues....

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
Long story short, about a week ago i started her up, took off and heard what i can only describe as dollar signs leaving my bank account :/ Was fine one day then the next the rears whining and howling at anything above 10mph. Also get a shit load of vibration at 65mph and up. Fortunately i work a few miles from home. I know nothing about differentials so can someone please enlighten me whats possibly going on and what i need to replace (a parts list would help, just to get ready...) . Ive had 4.56 gears for the past 4 years or so.

About a month ago I had a clutch installed and the diff serviced as the pinion seal was leaking. A new seal was put in and they topped off the fluid. Now this crap...and to add to the frustration the brand ****ing new throwout bearing is making grinding noises when when i push the clutch in...ugh...

Im between a rock and a hard place right now as i NEED to drive the car and Im well aware this is only going to make the issues worse down the line. Catch 22 situation. I cant afford to fix ANYTHING right now after the holidays...

01yellercobra

Established Member
My first thought would be they didn't get the preload on the pinion correct after replacing the pinion seal. That nut might have backed off. Stuff like this you really won't know what you need until you pull it apart. You might get away with just new gears. Or you might need bearings and everything else.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I'd start with checking to see if a diff mount is cracked or a bolt is loose. If all that checks out, it's probably internal like he said.

Users who are viewing this thread