Diff Crossmember

jwcobra03

Established Member
I’m having the hardest time to get mine back in the car. Halfshafts are out and I have the rear of the diff loosely tightened. I’m trying to put my shims back in the diff but when I go to put the brace back on it doesn’t line up. Do y’all usually put the bottom bolts in first than the two top bolts or vice versus. Need to have the car back together by tomorrow night. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jwcobra03

Established Member
Vice versa lol...the spacers are already in just need to add the shims to space the nose of the diff up. Shop put them in backwards, I have the FTBR aluminum bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
Damn man I can't remember. I don't recall struggling with it though.

You're talking about the concave washers right?

jwcobra03

Established Member
FTBR has the bushings that fit into the diff housing. They have a nipple on them that slide into the diff housing holes. I'm adding my shims to raise the diff nose higher for the pinion angle. The problem is i can't slide the crossmember back on and get he holes to align. So i'm unable to start bolting the crosssmember back on. Should look like this for reference.
front diff supports in car.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
So which bolts are you having trouble with? The ones through the bushings and spacers or the outer ones? Maybe reverse which ones you install first.

jwcobra03

Established Member
The lower ones won't go through and line up. I'm trying to get the lower ones in first lightly started but failing miserably. Tried the upper ones on the brace also first but faired no better. Very frustrating to say the least.

Last edited:

jwcobra03

Established Member
Both of the top bolts are in the arm but barely sticking out. Maybe an 1/4". Even without adding the shims and only using the bushings themselves, it still won't line up.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
from your pm it sounds like you had put 1 of the bushing bolts to hold cross member?

if so, undo bolt
crossmember has to go on 1st..just over lower conto arm bolts..than you can put bushing bolts in..

jwcobra03

Established Member
I’m gonna try to get the top bolts through the crossmember and then the bottom ones. Like I mentioned the rear bolts are loose also to help give me that little bit more wiggle room.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I’m gonna try to get the top bolts through the crossmember and then the bottom ones. Like I mentioned the rear bolts are loose also to help give me that little bit more wiggle room.

I don' think it will work that way..

crossmember goes on first..

this is the only part in the way of servicing rear cover with rear in car.

with this removed the rear can slide forward enough to remove rear cover.

Dave.O

Established Member
Make sure all bolts are loose. Once lined up, torque diff to x member first, the lower control arm bolt, then rear bolt last

Users who are viewing this thread