Diff Cooler

j card

Established Member
Anybody out there open-tracking without a diff cooler? I have seen numerous ways to do it, but how necessary is it? If (I should say when) I do an open track day, it wont be a 100% effort, so where is the line between "I need it" and "I don't need it"?

Thanks

jonas

Established Member
I wanna hear info on this.

Ive been taking scenic cruizes in the 100 deg weather we are having in the valley. Cruzes as in driving so hard I can smell clutch, tires, and brakes and I noticed yesterday I had some gear oil fling around near the pumpkin with no sign of where it came out from. I was told by a road racer who peeked under that its time for me to get a diff cooler.

You guys think swapping to a quality lube like redline would help me since I dont think I'll go to more than 3 or 4 events a year

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Ive done 4 open track events at 75 to 125 miles each event (in 20 to 25 miles or so in each run). I noticed after the 2nd one that there was some fluid leakage with some small drips from the the diff. pumpkin. The fluid was down about 1 inch from the plug. I topped up the fluid with the Ford Synthetic plus friction modifier and it has seemed to be OK. I can't imagine spending $1500 for a cooler. Should be able to do an effective cooler for a few hundred $ I would think, unless you are doing some serious racing for long sessions, not just 20 minute to 30 minute open track sessions.

Gord

maoun

Established Member
cruises don't do it...it's open track and autoX.....

i autoX a LOT.......trust me when i say that in the 03 your engine will overheat far earlier than your rear end...... however, if you upgrade your radiator and heat exchanger, then it's time to do the rear end.

j card

Established Member
Looking around the web, and looking in the forum where the 00R guys hang out, it looks like it can be done for a few hundred bucks if you source the stuff from the circle-track suppliers. I'm just wondering if I really need it for doing 20 minute sessions, 4 or 5 times a day - maybe 2 or 3 times a year. If I did do this, it would probably be in reasonably cool weather - probably less than 80 degrees.

The drawbacks are:

More money to spend
One more thing that could leak
One more thing for the Ford techs to frown upon.
Maybe more noise from the coolant pump and fan

Is it worth messing with?

Will's97

Established Member
At the SVTOA Gingerman event the SVT engineers told me that I should add a cooler to the dif. After the second day I had the gear oil smell coming from my car. At the SVT Headquarters the same engineer told how SVT vehicles had to stand up to so many hrs (I think 12?) of constant abuse on the track to be approved for production. I asked him did the dif hold up for the 12 hrs and he said that they modified the Cobra by adding racing pads and a cooler before testing. I guess that is why in the back of the little owners manual it has the page that recomends if the cars is to be used on the track that they recomend the pads and cooler.

I too would like to know how much abuse the dif could take without a cooler. Do the clutches just wear out or does it blow up?

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
If they had to modify it to make it stand up to the abuse, how can they say the stupid thing passed the test?

Cobra-R

Established Member
I have burned up two differentials on my 01 Cobra, you do need one if you run high speed tracks for any amount of time. I wouldn't do one for autocrosses, you arent out there long enough. I have a temp guage on my 00R differential, with the cooler running in a 20 min session at Road America the diff will be up to 220 degrees in 70 degree weather. If you happen to change gears, the need for a cooler is even greater.

Brian

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
I have burned up two differentials on my 01 Cobra, you do need one if you run high speed tracks for any amount of time. I wouldn't do one for autocrosses, you arent out there long enough. I have a temp guage on my 00R differential, with the cooler running in a 20 min session at Road America the diff will be up to 220 degrees in 70 degree weather. If you happen to change gears, the need for a cooler is even greater.

Brian

So I'm assuming you added a cooler? Any recommendations on type, etc? What about costs? Any additional info you can provide would be much appreciated.

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
dont forget all ford racing equipment is covered under the ford warranty.........

but they'll still prolly try to void it if they can prove racing abuse..

Users who are viewing this thread