diesel question

01_Svt venom

Established Member
Looking at a 2000 f250 with the 7.3 liter diesel. The truck has 209,000 miles on it. I have heard nothing but good things about the 7.3 but i was wondering if that was too many miles? How long do these engines usually last? Im new to diesel engines so i dont know a whole lot about them.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If the engine has been maintained properly it has a lot of miles left in it. The tranny may be another story though.

ModularFan

Established Member
Its fine, just do a oil change etc, That's just getting broken in for these engines.

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
check the turbo fins, if they are rounded at the edges I would stay away from it. remove the oil cap with the engine running and see how much blowby there is, should be some but not much. Also look at the air filter housing to make sure all the clips are good, nothing broken. I have seen the engines last alot longer than 200k if maintained. The trans won't though.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I came here to make this exact thread, but the one I'm eying is an 02 with 177k. About how long to the transmissions last?

ModularFan

Established Member
I came here to make this exact thread, but the one I'm eying is an 02 with 177k. About how long to the transmissions last?

200K is the break in period for these motor's they will last quite a while, you could probably get another 200-300K miles out of that truck without question, as long as its maintained etc.

If you want look at powerstrokenation.com and thedieselgarage.com they have some pretty knowlegable people on those sites.

Transmissions in the 7.3L aren't very good to tend to have alot of issues. the 6.0 has a better tranny.

Last edited:

FORD4U

Established Member
i wouldnt say the trans arent that good, mine has 255,xxx and has not been rebuilt, i only use my truck to pull, it sees no regular miles. i would say most 4r100's make it to around 200,xxx on average. but that really depends on how well they have been taken care of. the trans arent real expensive anyways. and on the 7.3's i have seen many make it well into the 400,xxx plus mark.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The big thing is to keep the tranny cool. Put a deep sump pan on it with a bigger cooler and it'll last much longer. They also like an aftermarket converter.

Users who are viewing this thread