Diesel F150?

a64armt

Established Member
Ford would do better if they simply used an off-the-shelf European Diesel Engine already in production. There are many Ford Partners who already produce and sell diesel engines. American Automobiles manufacturers do not have a healthy reputation for taking gasoline engines and turning them into diesels. Making a 1/2 ton or smaller diesel SUV and pick-up is a great idea long over due. I would hate to see Ford go cheap or easy and have a lemon. Lest we forget the GM diesel cars of the 80's, those vehicles made American's fear the word diesel for nearly 2 decades.

A 4.4 L diesel is actually a bit large. I had figured it would be between 2.5 and 4 L. Volvo already sells their XC90 in Europe with a 2.5 Diesel and it gets 34mpg highway and has reports of 40+mpg. The same engine can be tuned for more power as well. Tuning diesel: Tuningbox with sports exhaust system, power increase to 140 kW/190 BHP and torque increase to 385 Nm. This is an increase from a stock 165 bhp. Nissan has 6 cyl diesels on the market in many of their commercial trucks. Ford of Europe already has small diesel engines in delivery vans and European Ranger Trucks. Ford has had partnerships with VW in the past and sold the VW Sharon Van as the Ford Galaxy van with a VW diesel engine. The 5.0 V-10 in the Toureg would be a nice engine for a small truck.

Everyone seems to be on the diesel power band wagon. Sure, HP is nice, but a 3/4 ton Diesel truck with a moderate 5.9 ltr 6 cyl diesel engine that turns 22 mpg or better highway is a real victory (Dodge).

Just my thoughts.

Vincent

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
a64armt said:
Ford would do better if they simply used an off-the-shelf European Diesel Engine already in production. Just my thoughts.

Vincent

The 4.4L is not a newly designed and built from scratch engine. Its the same one that is being used by landrover in ford europe. All ford is doing is adapting the motor to the f-150 platform and making it emissions legal for 2010 U.S. standards

Users who are viewing this thread