Die vs Thread Chaser vs Rethreader?

90FoX

Established Member
What's up guys?

Not sure where this belongs but there is a lot of good knowledge in this section so I figured I'd post it here:

I have an adjustable clutch cable and the threads where the cable attaches to the clutch fork are screwed up bad.

Now I have tried researching and can't figure it out, I must be slow lol :bash:

What is the name of the tool that will fix the threads on the stud at the end of the clutch cable? When I search thread chaser it seems to be a tool to repair the threads of a hole not on a stud/bolt.

I've also read that using a die will cut to much material off of the bolt and will negatively affect the integrity of the stud/bolt. Is this true?

What do you recommend I use?

Thanks for any input :beer:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Go to the hardware store and find the die/ ' rethreader' thibg that looks like a big nut. They are size specifc. Might be better off getting a new cable though if its fairly old

90FoX

Established Member
Go to the hardware store and find the die/ ' rethreader' thibg that looks like a big nut. They are size specifc. Might be better off getting a new cable though if its fairly old

So a die should be able to do the job. The cable is fairly new I'd like to avoid getting a new one if possible. :(

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Yes you should be able to clean up the threads wit a die and re use the cable. You need to find out the stock cable's thread number and pitch. Go to the nuts and bolts section and find a nut that fits, and you'll be able to find out the size and pitch. Then go find the right die. Good luck- sometimes chasinf ljttle parts is more time consuming than you'd think lol (just chased down all the fittings formy line lock last night... pita)

FORD4U

Established Member
well to cleat this up, a thread chaser will clean threads and fix small amounts of problems, would most likely work for your situation,

a tap or die is a cutting device that cuts threads, if there are bent damaged threads it will most likely cut the damaged threads out or at least parts or the damaged treads, that is why they often effects integrity.

im sure there will be someone that is quick to chime in and tell you how they fixed a bent bolt with their die and it worked for them, but ive also seen guys do a lot of wrong/crazy stuf. if you want to save it try a chaser first, that is your best option

when rebuilding engines i wont use a tap to even just clean threads, if you have tried this you will notice the small metal shaving. end of story

90FoX

Established Member
well to cleat this up, a thread chaser will clean threads and fix small amounts of problems, would most likely work for your situation,

a tap or die is a cutting device that cuts threads, if there are bent damaged threads it will most likely cut the damaged threads out or at least parts or the damaged treads, that is why they often effects integrity.

im sure there will be someone that is quick to chime in and tell you how they fixed a bent bolt with their die and it worked for them, but ive also seen guys do a lot of wrong/crazy stuf. if you want to save it try a chaser first, that is your best option

when rebuilding engines i wont use a tap to even just clean threads, if you have tried this you will notice the small metal shaving. end of story

As I mentioned in my OP, the thread chasers I find are for a hole, I am trying to repair the thread on a bolt/stud. Do they have a die type thread chaser?

edit: found some "split die thread chasers", they seem to be what i need.:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread