Did they ever make automatic cobras???

badboycali_559

Established Member
there's a guy runnin round town with a cobra and he says it came automatic form the factory, i don't think its a cobra, i think he did a swap and its pretty damn good conversion coz he's got the brakes, speedo, seats, weird, so i thought i would inquire if they ever made automatic cobras???

badboycali_559

Established Member
the guy said it came that way from factory and he's the first owner. i looked at everythin, even the engine bay and even round his shifter, if it is a conversion, its a damn good conversion, it's got the gt auto shifter. i'll try to get som pics and post them.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Yes - they made automatic cobras for Australia. Not very many of them made, but they were made.

Now there's a bit of trivia none of us knew! :read:

I was gonna call :bs: until I read that. There are a few conversions that are pretty good. There's an '03 guy in my local club that did a conversion and it came out pretty clean.

I just always wonder why anyone would want an "AutoCobra"???

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
REX-RACER said:

The same reason people buy Verts.

I used to wonder about this when I had a Vette, cause the majority of them are automatics. It disgusted me. Oh well, the more autos and verts out there, the higher on the food chain my manual hardtop becomes.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
Now there's a bit of trivia none of us knew! :read:

I was gonna call :bs: until I read that. There are a few conversions that are pretty good. There's an '03 guy in my local club that did a conversion and it came out pretty clean.

Yeah - I found that out from the Corral.

This guy should check his VIN thorugh SVT though and see where the car originated. I doubt he got an Aussie Cobra.

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
OhOneSnake said:
The same reason people buy Verts.
Oh well, the more autos and verts out there, the higher on the food chain my manual hardtop becomes.
:dw: and whats that reason?

badboycali_559

Established Member
the guy who works on my car is stressin me to go auto coz too many guys round town wanna race for $$$ and too risky missin a shift when ur runnin for $$$, not gonna happen though, i rather have my sucky drivin skills then have an auto :D

RioRed4v

Established Member
lemosley01 said:

This guy should check his VIN thorugh SVT though and see where the car originated. I doubt he got an Aussie Cobra.

plus the aussie ones had the fugged up foglights in the middle of the bumper.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
lemosley01 said:

I doubt it too unless the car had the steering wheel on the right side. It got to be a conversion because there were no official SVT Cobras sold with automatics and you just can't order something like that. If he bought it used, it got bogus information. If he bought it new, he had the tranny swapped.

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
SNAKIE said:
:dw: and whats that reason?

I'm waiting for the reason too! I picked the vert over a hardtop. My Z t-tops over the hardtop.

My reason was style, I liked it better, it looks better, so I got it.

01L2Cobra

Banned
If I remember right there was only one red Automatic made and it was a 99. I'm not sure if that car was ever sold or if SVT ended up scraping it. I have seen a white 99 Automatic but I am shure it was a conversion done at the dealer. Give SVT a call they will tell you but I'm shure they will have to look it up.

01L2Cobra

Banned
RioRed4v said:
plus the aussie ones had the fugged up foglights in the middle of the bumper.
They also had factory long tubes inorder to clear the stearing shaft and that where their extra horsepower came from.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread