Did I do something wrong here? [Rant]

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
So labor day my dad wanted to go shooting at his local club outdoor shooting facility about 30 minutes away. He's a member and I'm going as a guest. I though it would be a good time to sight in my Ruger 10/22 with a new scope and my Diana Pellet rifle with a small 4x scope.

Along with the above guns, I brought my custom PVC target stand I put together. Nothing fancy but good when you need to adjust for distance less than 50 yds (in the case of my pellet rifle).

So we get there at about 9:30 and setup. I set the stand at 25yds to get started on the pellet rifle. Scope was way off and is no good at 25 yds. I then switch to my Ruger and sight in the scope at 25 and then 50 for now with plans to sight it in for 100 another day. So far we have the whole bay to ourselves (bay holds about 15 shooters split between 50 and 100 yard distances with a berm behind.

After a bit I decide to go back to the Pellet rifle after re-mounting the scope and set my stand at 15 yds. Finally start getting somewhere and have it reasonably sighted in. I then switch back to my 22 and start taking shots at a swing target I set at 50 yds when a range officer stops by.

At this time, I was clearly shooting my Ruger at the 50 yd berm/target. My stand was 4 feet to the right of where I was shooting. The range officer gives me a dirty look and then squats down, looks back at me (not firing, was loading a magazine) and then comes over to my table setting both hands on the table and glares down at me with crazy eyes telling me i'm not hitting the berm.

I calmy reply that I'm shooting at the 50 yd berm/target. He asks who's stand it is at 15. I tell him it is mine but I am not using it right now. He says its too close and causing ricochets. I again tell him I am not shooting at it right now and was using it to sight in my pellet rifle, which cannot even reach the 50 yd berm. He tells me then I have to remove it now. I calmly reply I'm not removing it while the range is hot. He with pure anger says he'll shut down the range so I can remove it. (A few people arrived about a half hour previous with AR's)

At this point I'm pissed. He clearly doesn't understand that I wasn't shooting at the stand with my Ruger and accuses me of shooting low and causing ricochets when he wasn't even on sitewhile I was shooting and only basing that assumption on my stand placement.

As he walks away my temper gets the best of me and I state that he didn't need to have the attitude. He then turns around and yells for my membership card, and I mean yells to where the other folks have stopped and are stairing at him. I told him I'm a guest here with my father who is the member. He replies that he shouldn't even be talking to me and goes and reams my Dad. My Dad tries to calmly explain the same and that he will talk to me about it also to try and get the ranger officer to calm down. No luck, the range officer suspends my dad and bans me from the range.

I tell him I don't plan on coming back any way and if this is how you treat members I wouldn't pay to be one. I pack up my stuff and we leave.

My Dad's pretty pissed but doesn't know what to do since the Range Officers are gods but this guy was clearly nuts. The fact he even has access to firearms concerns me.

I know alot of people write stories like this and you would think there is more to the story but I swear this is exactly what happened. I'm still really confused and not sure what I could have done to not get this douchnut to go ape shit like he did.

What sucks is this is the only out door range reasonably close and we have only 2 indoor ranges that are limited to 25 yards. So now I can't sight in my new AR/scope and am pretty bummed out.

Cliffs: People are nuts.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have been to places where they are way too relaxed and ranges like this, where they are total know it all dicks...I can't seem to find a range with balance between the two!

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
I have been to places where they are way too relaxed and ranges like this, where they are total know it all dicks...I can't seem to find a range with balance between the two!

What pisses me off more is early spring I went with my Dad to one of the pistol bays and it allowed for 2 shooters. Some asshat shows up with a stand and hangs orange painted 1/4" plate steel and only has it about 10 yards if that from him and he is shooting at it with a .45. Of course what happens, I get hit by a ricochet off the plate. I kindly ask he move it back as I can see fragments hitting the ground not 5 ft behind is standing on going who knows where.

Of course no range officer on hand during this to chew his ass.

Just_A_GT

Established Member
if things played out as you said, the guy is obviously not in the right state of mind to be working anywhere near firearms. Anger issues and a power hungry asshole = bad news bears.

can't you go over his head and talk to a manager/owner?

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
if things played out as you said, the guy is obviously not in the right state of mind to be working anywhere near firearms. Anger issues and a power hungry asshole = bad news bears.

can't you go over his head and talk to a manager/owner?

i can't since I'm not a member. My dad may if he goes to the next member meeting which I don't know when that is. But at that point its just heresay and they will believe the range officer over a standard member.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Actually I'm very surprised they even allowed you to bring in your home made PVC target stand. I wouldn't think that would be allowed since PVC shatters when struck with a projectile. What's to say a stray round could potentially hit your stand and ricochet or send shards of PVC back towards another shooter? While the range officer probably could have used a little more tact with the way he handled the situation I believe he was in the right telling you to remove the stand. The range would be liable if someone was hurt due to the placement of your stand.

U.M.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I'd like to hear the range officers version of what happened. Have your dad tell him to sign up lol.

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
@Uncle Meat

I think you need to re-read what I wrote. The issue was not the stand's material, but ricochets off the ground. He was assuming I was shooting at my stand at 15yds with my Ruger. When I explained I was using it for the pellet rifle, he rejected my explanation and basically accused me of something he was not witness to, on top of his poor demeanor.

They actually have markers for 15 yds to place target stands. The bullet however must impact the berm which unless you are shooting at a very low target at 15 yds, the impact will hit the berm. My targets were hung at about 5' to 6' off the ground. Whether the stand is at 15 yds or 35yds, the ulitmate impact of a .22 cal slug at that height will hit the berm at 50 yds. A lead pellet from an air rifle will not.

hb712

Established Member
Call and talk to the manager. The RSO may have been in the wrong and the manager needs to know about that. RSOs should not ever tell anyone to go forward of the firing line while the range is hot, nor should they cause a distraction.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I don't know man, as a guest I think you should have done what he told you to do and not argued. You could have sighted in the .177 another time another place. I'm not saying dude was right, I'm just saying you were a guest. Your dad could have brought it up later at the meeting instead of you being banned and him being suspended. Assholes are gonna asshole, and you messing around with him got you shit on. Hopefully your dad can get it worked out.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen

Is your location Cypress, TX? If so, check out Van Road Gun Range, it's on the east side of Houston at Hwy 90 and Van road. Best outdoor gun range I've ever been too. It almost never goes cold because they set targets out at the beginning of the day and have dozens of lanes. Owner and the couple of employees he has are really cool. Another plus is they don't charge for a 2nd gun.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-gun-ranges/51878-van-road-gun-range-east-houston.html

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
@Uncle Meat

I think you need to re-read what I wrote. The issue was not the stand's material, but ricochets off the ground. He was assuming I was shooting at my stand at 15yds with my Ruger. When I explained I was using it for the pellet rifle, he rejected my explanation and basically accused me of something he was not witness to, on top of his poor demeanor.

They actually have markers for 15 yds to place target stands. The bullet however must impact the berm which unless you are shooting at a very low target at 15 yds, the impact will hit the berm. My targets were hung at about 5' to 6' off the ground. Whether the stand is at 15 yds or 35yds, the ulitmate impact of a .22 cal slug at that height will hit the berm at 50 yds. A lead pellet from an air rifle will not.

What leads you to believe that pellet rifle will not hit the berm?

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member

This. It's either one or the other around here too. And there are a lot of psychos that have gun related jobs, like a few workers at local gun shops by me.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Firstly if he is the RSO you are playing in his sandbox by his rules.
Secondly you are a guest of your father. Your attitude reflects poorly not on you but on him.
As for the RSO's attitude if it happened exactly as you say that would be something that your father could have brought up at the next meeting.
It is also possible that his attitude was brought on by yours.
We only have one side of a three sided story.

the.greg

Established Member
Range officers tend to go overboard on safety issues and while he was wrong, he had the right to ask you to remove your target. Honestly you admit it yourself that you lost your temper; next time just keep it under control and have no issues.

I've seen some real idiots at shooting ranges and safety is always the number one priority and consideration. The range officer was wrong in your case, but I bet he has seen lots of people being unsafe and jumped to the same conclusion in your situation. But two wrongs don't make a right. Be respectful-especially when you are a guest.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Is your location Cypress, TX? If so, check out Van Road Gun Range, it's on the east side of Houston at Hwy 90 and Van road. Best outdoor gun range I've ever been too. It almost never goes cold because they set targets out at the beginning of the day and have dozens of lanes. Owner and the couple of employees he has are really cool. Another plus is they don't charge for a 2nd gun.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-gun-ranges/51878-van-road-gun-range-east-houston.html

sweet, yes I am in cypress and thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely check them out.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
You live in Nebraska, the whole state is a giant shooting range. If you want to go back just call and see who is in charge of the range beforehand.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
@Uncle Meat

Whatever. I still believe your home made stand being used on his range is what set him off to begin with, whether it was right, wrong, or indifferent.

U.M.

Machdup1

Established Member
As an RSO, I will give you the other side of the story. The range officer was giving you instruction based on his instructions from the CRSO. RSO's only do what they are instructed to do. Those rules are created based on the needs of safety and to limit liability to the range. You were violating a range rule, you were instructed to stop and you choose to argue your opinion. Your opinion carries no weight. As a guest, your opinion is useless.

RSO are not to be argued with, if they are wrong in their enforcement of the rules, the range management will correct or replace them. If you don't like the way the rules are enforced at that range don't go back. Personally, at my club, after you choose to argue your position, I would simply have thrown you and the member off the range and written up the member for not managing their guest and let the member stand before the board and justify their membership. BTW, at my club, your actions and members inaction in correcting you, would have cost the member their membership in the club.

Users who are viewing this thread