Did Ford put anti seize on back of rotor?

Dinosgt

Established Member
Need some help on this - I recently went to a track event and had a blast. Several twenty minute sessions at 10/10ths and the car did great.

One mistake I made was during one session, fuel got very low (I burned 3/4 tank on two 20 minute sessions) and rather than risk uncovering the pickup I came in and pitted without a cool down lap. After an hour of sitting I got soft brakes and had cooked the pads.

I bought all new rotors, pads and fluid (RB two piece and Motul 600) so I tore it all apart. The calipers all seem fine, but I noticed when I pulled the front rotors off they have what appears to be grease behind the rotor surface on the hub. I am curious - does Ford apply this to keep the rotors from rusting to the hubs?

I fear I melted the grease in the wheel bearings, but since they are sealed can’t repack them - instead they are replaced as a unit.

Anyone find the same when pulling their rotors the first time (these are original)

Thank much.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dinosgt

Established Member
Need some help on this - I recently went to a track event and had a blast. Several twenty minute sessions at 10/10ths and the car did great.

One mistake I made was during one session, fuel got very low (I burned 3/4 tank on two 20 minute sessions) and rather than risk uncovering the pickup I came in and pitted without a cool down lap. After an hour of sitting I got soft brakes and had cooked the pads.

I bought all new rotors, pads and fluid (RB two piece and Motul 600) so I tore it all apart. The calipers all seem fine, but I noticed when I pulled the front rotors off they have what appears to be grease behind the rotor surface on the hub. I am curious - does Ford apply this to keep the rotors from rusting to the hubs?

I fear I melted the grease in the wheel bearings, but since they are sealed can’t repack them - instead they are replaced as a unit.

Anyone find the same when pulling their rotors the first time (these are original)

Thank much.

Struggling with posting pics on mobile app. Not sure if these worked ...

View attachment 1480956View attachment 1480957

Last edited:

M91196

Established Member
Don’t own GT500 but do own regular 14 TP GT that I had the rear rotors off for a swap. I’ve never seen antisieze on any brake components or any factory components I can recall, on any car I worked on in my limited experience. I’ve seen front hubs spit grease all over the inner barrel of a wheel.

raustin0017

Established Member
In the 13/14 Ford Service Manual...there is mention of "High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant XL-2" being applied during installation of brake rotors.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
This is a pic from Dino.
I upgraded to Boss302S hubs to get ARP studs and they had anti seize on the hubs between the studs. I’m assuming the factory did as well?
Hope this helps.
-J

Attachments

• 5971F7C1-4762-47E1-9959-635DF3F5ED88.jpeg
    5971F7C1-4762-47E1-9959-635DF3F5ED88.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 191

Dinosgt

Established Member
In the 13/14 Ford Service Manual...there is mention of "High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant XL-2" being applied during installation of brake rotors.

Fantastic. I think this is what I am seeing. It doesn’t look like it ran out of the bearings to me.

Might go J’s route with the FRPP stuff because...racecar . But for now I’m bolting on these suckers...

IMG_8403.JPG

IMG_8404.JPG

Snoopy49

Established Member

I noticed that too, but it is not clear where to apply the lube.
Check out page 6 and you will see what I mean.

Disc Brake System.pdf

Attachments

• Disc Brake System.pdf
    575.9 KB · Views: 175

Dinosgt

Established Member
Btw most of the stuff I have found isn’t nickel. Is there something special about nickel vs the other permatex type mixes?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Snoopy49

Established Member
Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Loctite - Nickel Anti-Seize 77124
Copper-free anti-seize compound for harsh environs.
  • Loctite - 8OZ CAN ANTI SEIZE COMPOUND NICKEL.
  • Penetrant and lubricant with copper-free formulation.
  • Made with graphite, mineral oil and nickel.
  • Helps prevent seizing, galling and corrosion.
  • Great for use in harsh temperatures and chemical environments.
  • Usable on stainless steel and most metals.
  • Also resistant to acid, ammonia, acetylene and vinyl monomer.
Loctite--Nickel-AntiSeize-EE182-lg.jpg

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Ford XL-2 High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant
Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400°F. Copper-free, this lubricant is for use under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature, with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys. From special mission, job-specific lubricants, protectants and dressings, to the rigors of heavy-duty needs, bring you reliability and problem-solving solutions that extend the life of your equipment.

Ford XL-2 High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant.jpg

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Where did you get the Loctite version?

I've had one for probably 20 years and finally running/drying out. I love that stuff!!!

Tom

Dinosgt

Established Member
Ford XL-2 High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant
Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400°F. Copper-free, this lubricant is for use under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature, with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys. From special mission, job-specific lubricants, protectants and dressings, to the rigors of heavy-duty needs, bring you reliability and problem-solving solutions that extend the life of your equipment.

View attachment 1481172

Awesome. Thanks as always snoopy. Great info. I guess I will get the right stuff.

Snoopy49

Established Member
This is from The 2014 Mustang Service Manual
Rear brake rotor installation.
It talks about the use of the Anti-Seize Lubricant.
Rear Brake Disc.pdf

NOTICE:
Do not allow the lubricant to make contact with the wheel studs, brake pads or brake disc or damage to components may occur.

Apply a thin coat of the specified anti-seize lubricant to the hub flange.

Attachments

• Rear Brake Disc.pdf
    224.9 KB · Views: 182

Users who are viewing this thread