Did Chevy built TransAms or Camaros with the Z06/LS6 engine?

FLYNLO

Established Member
I think they did

I thnk the RPO code was ZL1 or ZL6 or something like that. Very Very limited in prodiction.....like under 100....the number 69 sticks out in my mind but that could be something else.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Chevy never did put the LS^engine in the camaro or firebird. There is a particular dealership named Tom Henry Chevrolet that might have done a few conversions, but Chevy never built them

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
He's claiming there's a TA with a Z06 eninge sitting on a showroom floor of some dealer around here. I know some of the Dale Earnhadrt edition cars got a LS6 intake, but the whole Z06 engine?

Come on you LS1 guys.. is this BS or not?

I read about the ZL1 and it said it was never produced by GM according to this page..

http://www.camaroz28.com/articles/2002zl1/index.shtml

03CobraBro

Established Member
Iv seen somewhere, where the ZL1 and that 94 Boss 10Liter raced before... I cant remember who won, I think it was the ZL1 though, but the Boss'es crank shaft snapped and the Zl1's axle broke in half or something like that.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
yeah some magazine did the write up of the boss 10 liter and the ZL1.....not sure if GM ever put the Z06 motor in a F-body though :shrug:

sukkoi19

Established Member
All 01 and up LS1s have the LS6 intake, and some got the LS6 block (like mine). But the cylinder heads and cam remain regular LS1. There are a few conversions available, since all you really need is the heads and cam, plus pcm. The kit is like 3000 or so.

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
If you are talking new body style(98-up) NO GM did not make any from the factory. The only ones that they made at the factory were in the 1960's! The newer ones are all dealer made kind of like the Anderson Cobra's(99-01)!

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Bid is at about $110,000 and the reserve has still not been met yet! :eek:

This has got to be the most expensive F-body I've ever seen. Anybody know stock times for those bad-boys? (I wouldn't mind driving one of those)

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
OK. so no GM production. I've called BS on that since he first told me, just wanted to make sure I'm not talking out of my ass here. I'm sure there are plenty of F-bodies with LS6 engines for sale, but I'd never heard of any that rolled down the St. Whatever assembly line.

FLYNLO

Established Member
<<NUMBER 9 OF 69 CAMARO ZL-1S MADE. ONE OF A FEW WITH THE STAGE III 427 600 HP. HOUNDSTOOTH INTERIOR, PHASE III, 427 CI, C5R RACE MOTOR. 600 HP, 575 LBS/TQ, CHROME Z0-6 WHEELS, HURST LINE LOCK, 6 PT ROLL CAGE, HURST BLACK SHIFT BALL, HOCKEYSTICK STRIPES. NEVER BEEN TITLED, A MSO CAR. A TRUE COLLECTOR CAR >>

I knew I had heard something about 69 and the fact that they called them ZL1s. I wouldn't call BS on your buddy just yet. Jury is still out. Too many similarities with what I had heard. BTW, this is not your daddy's LS6. It is a 427 with the C5R block. So who knows what the hell I (we) are talking about here.

Droptop Snake

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Iv seen somewhere, where the ZL1 and that 94 Boss 10Liter raced before... I cant remember who won, I think it was the ZL1 though, but the Boss'es crank shaft snapped and the Zl1's axle broke in half or something like that.

From the article I remember, the Boss laid down a best pass that was a full second or more quicker than the Camaro (and that was back when I was driving one, so I remember the loss). The ZL1 grenaded its rear for sure, but I don't remember the Stang snapping its crank during that test. :shrug:

snake6026

Established Member
I read a thread earlier today on LS1 that stated a few f-bodies got LS6 blocks but not complete LS6 motors.

Users who are viewing this thread