Diamondback - Blue Ridge Parkway - Mt. Mitchell

alan0614

Established Member
I know this is pretty much last minute but thought I would post it and see if anyone is interested in joining us for a great day trip in the NC mountains. The weather should be perfect.

September 14th

Diamondback Hwy 226-A 190 curves in 12 Miles

9:30 Leave Bojangles, I-40 Exit 125 Hickory NC

10:15 Arrive Love’s Truck Stop, I-40 Exit 86 Marion, NC for bio break, gas and munchies.

10:30 Leave Love’s for Diamondback on Hwy 221/226 to Hwy 226-A. Diamondback is a very nice stretch of road but unlike the Tail of the Dragon Diamondback does have quite a few driveways until you get deep into the run. Be mindful of them.

11:00 Arrive in Little Switzerland , there is a gift shop at the top of the mountain for those who want Diamondback t-shirts, stickers and such. Parking is limited there, so all may not be able to stop.

At Little Switzerland, we will head south on the Blue Ridge Parkway, stopping at the first overlook on the left, Deerlick Gap Overlook. This is a great place to assemble for photos. We will wait there for those who choose to stop for souvenirs.

We can take another bio break about 3 miles down the Parkway at Crabtree Falls. They have bathrooms and snacks there.

From Crabtree Falls we will head to Mt. Mitchell for more pics, lunch and great views from the highest peak east of the Mississippi.

Not sure of an exact departure time, but we will most likely head back sometime around 2:00 – 2:30. We will return to Marion via Hwy 80, left onto 70 back to 221/226 to I-40. This is a nice little stretch of road, dropping 2,500 ft in 10 miles.

Depending on interest and timing, we can gather again in the Hickory area for dinner. Let me know if you are interested and I can offer up some options.

Users who are viewing this thread