Diagnose this noise. (VIDEO)

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
I already pulled off the supercharger belt so I know it's not coming from those pulleys or idlers.

My thoughts are that it's either the tensioner or the A/C compressor. I sprayed WD-40 around the compressor and tensioner and I can still hear it. I hope it's not the compressor since I just hit 36k miles....

[youtube_browser]nGrcqb35qcQ[/youtube_browser]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Mystic03

Established Member
all i really hear are the injectors...and a whooosh which sounds almost like a power steering pump?

laruei

Established Member
Hmm it sounds a little bit like a diesel? What specific noise in the video is abnormal?

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
There is a whine coming from the lower part of the motor. Almost like its a bearing in the tensioned or a/c compressor.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
all i really hear are the injectors...and a whooosh which sounds almost like a power steering pump?

I thought it might be the pa pump but it sounds like it's coming from the opposite side of the motor.

laruei

Established Member
well as shitty of a job as it is, take off the accesory belt and start the car. dont let it run too long as the water pump wont be turning but that will take all the spinning bits on the outside of the engine out of the equation...

Then youll know if its internal or external.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Now that I think of it, I didn't really hear a groaning noise that usually made when ps pump is going out.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
well as shitty of a job as it is, take off the accesory belt and start the car. dont let it run too long as the water pump wont be turning but that will take all the spinning bits on the outside of the engine out of the equation...

Then youll know if its internal or external.

You're not kidding! I looked at the lower cage and said f*** it! I pulled as much of the belt off and spun the pulleys by hand and could really hear much. Oh well. Ill find out for sure this weekend.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I think I hear the noise, but these things are always hard to diagnose through just a video. What happens if you turn the AC on? What happens if you turn the steering wheel lock to lock? Have you taken off both belts and spun everything you can by hand? Sometimes you can feel the problem by doing that. I'm gonna suspect a tensioner/idler pulley. They're usually cheap enough that if I suspect them I'll just go ahead and replace them.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
do you have a mechanic's stethescope if not they are not expensive at all to get and a really handy tool to have)? that should tell you what it is. if not, take a long screwdriver and touch the end of that in the area of the accessory you want to check and put your ear on the handle. you should be able to determine where the whine is then since it can travel using just your ear with no assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread