DI for the new 5.0?

cgbills

Established Member
I like every other Mustang guy was stoked about Ford bringing back the 5.0. With that I started to think what the next evolution would be for our mustangs. I think the next step will be direct injection. What do you guys thing? Has there already been talks about this in Ford? What type of HP gains do you think the 5.0 could see from this? I think it would be awesome if Ford did DI on the 5.0

AmnDucky

Established Member
Ford loves DI, its one of the special ingredients that make the ecoboost/ecotech motors so efficient. And honestly, its the only bit of technology missing from the 5.0 and I assume they didnt add it for a reason. My cousin works at an Audi dealership, and says their DI gets gummed up by low quality gasoline and causes problems. Thats one theory :shrug:. I think the next evolution for the Mustang as a whole will be an IRS. Hopefully not just in the GT500 haha.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Ford loves DI, its one of the special ingredients that make the ecoboost/ecotech motors so efficient. And honestly, its the only bit of technology missing from the 5.0 and I assume they didnt add it for a reason. My cousin works at an Audi dealership, and says their DI gets gummed up by low quality gasoline and causes problems. Thats one theory :shrug:. I think the next evolution for the Mustang as a whole will be an IRS. Hopefully not just in the GT500 haha.

It's not the low quality gas on the Audi's, it's the fact that the fuel no longer washes over the back of the intake valves and butterfly valves in the manifold, so the deposits from the EGR and PCV valves build up on both and causes a problem (less power). It is a common issue with DI that does not yet have a solution that I am aware of.

AmnDucky

Established Member
It's not the low quality gas on the Audi's, it's the fact that the fuel no longer washes over the back of the intake valves and butterfly valves in the manifold, so the deposits from the EGR and PCV valves build up on both and causes a problem (less power). It is a common issue with DI that does not yet have a solution that I am aware of.

Ford didnt think of something for their new flagship motors?

bssmith1220

Established Member
I work at VW and we have the same carbon issue with the DI engines. You should see how the valves look on these things when they are taken apart, and I'm talking terrible with 10-20k miles on them.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I like every other Mustang guy was stoked about Ford bringing back the 5.0. With that I started to think what the next evolution would be for our mustangs. I think the next step will be direct injection. What do you guys thing? Has there already been talks about this in Ford? What type of HP gains do you think the 5.0 could see from this? I think it would be awesome if Ford did DI on the 5.0
don't worry, DI is definitely in the cards for sometime in the next few years(2014MY redesign?). ford designed both the 5.0l and the 6.2l boss with DI in mind, and it will definitely be implemented on both in the future. they already have some DI equipped 5.0l prototypes, including the 'bobcat' engine, which features standard port injection with ethanol direct injection. simply put, it's not on either engine right because both can reach ford's goals without the use of it, saving a bit of money.

AmnDucky

Established Member
don't worry, DI is definitely in the cards for sometime in the next few years(2014MY redesign?). ford designed both the 5.0l and the 6.2l boss with DI in mind, and it will definitely be implemented on both in the future. they already have some DI equipped 5.0l prototypes, including the 'bobcat' engine, which features standard port injection with ethanol direct injection. simply put, it's not on either engine right because both can reach ford's goals without the use of it, saving a bit of money.

Interesting, I havent heard of the bobcat. Is that the F-150 version of the motor?

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member

The thing is no OEM has the issue "figured out", but Lexus has both port fuel injection and DI on the IS-F and I am sure the carbon build up is why. It sounds as if Ford will do something similar.

As for Ford not thinking of a way around it on their flagship motors, the probably first gained traction when owners of the Audi RS4 started to notice a marked lack of performance after some miles (10k). However, it seems to be a problem on nearly all DI motors.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
The thing about di you guys need to also consider unlike reg port injection you cannot upgrade injector size easily. All you can do is up the fuel pressure or duty cycle. I'd rather swap injectors. D.I. overall hasn't really been all that imo. Like going irs not all that if you want to beat on it hard.

AmnDucky

Established Member
The thing about di you guys need to also consider unlike reg port injection you cannot upgrade injector size easily. All you can do is up the fuel pressure or duty cycle. I'd rather swap injectors. D.I. overall hasn't really been all that imo. Like going irs not all that if you want to beat on it hard.

I love that Ford is using DI for power and economy on most of their cars. But I am glad the Mustang doesnt have it I guess.

NeoTokyo

Established Member
If you read several issues back of the 5.0mag and MM&FF (Both had similar issues) they had a story that covered the behind the scenes dev of the 5.0L

DI is slated for the big FIVE-OH (50th ani) in 2014 for added power and efficiency though they also said that the DI would raise the cost of the engine and they wanted to keep costs low for 2011.

Costs and supplies will of course be cheaper in 2014 for the 5.0 and DI and perhaps in that time any issues that they have will be solved.

They plan to use this engine for a while so its only natural that they don't let all the ponies out of the stable just yet with DI and the best possible exhaust and tune or even bigger cam movement.

There are a few area's that they have room to improve upon and they designed that into this engine. They had a goal and they hit it but the other goal they had was the sustainability of this motor.

The heads, though impressive can be improved upon even more with larger valves and better exhaust ports. A revision of these heads would most likely bring a higher lift cam set too and more aggressive Ti-Vct

By the time they are done with this motors run in NA trim I think we can expect Ford to release at least a 475hp NA GT, hell with bolt ons and tuning we are already there with the 2011.

-Eric-

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Off subject but still related, you guys read the last engine master contest? Between f.i. and carbs w a n/a engine what came out on top and why? Answer carbs. Why? Because it cools the intake charge w vaporization of the gasoline.

F.i. improves gas economy and driveability under various conditions, that's the beauty of f.i. plus easy to integrate a s/c or turbo engine. W alcohol you don't really even need a intercooler if some is injected in the intake tube.

I would imagine like someone said do a lexus setup or put a single aux injector in the intake path to clean and cool the intake charge. We do a similar thing w a wet nitrous setup. It cleans my intercooler ok of oil and etc. I also know of a turbo guy that was running aux injectors spraying e85+ into his sullivan intake.

Users who are viewing this thread