DFW area group purchase of MAFterburner

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Anyone local in DFW area interested in a group buy on the MAFterburner? PM me if your interested

2003snake

Established Member
Not trying to sound like a moron, but what does this thing do? I know it's used for tuning but does it replace the need for a chip? Can you always make adjustments....in actuallity making it better than a chip?

and if it does serve the same purpose as a chip why would anyone buy a chip?

Can you still alter other things such as redline, Traction control.....or are those the"pros" of having a chip?

Sorry for all the questions....

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by 2003snake
Can you still alter other things such as redline, Traction control.....or are those the"pros" of having a chip?

Sorry for all the questions....
The answer is no to these questions. Those can't be done with the MAFterburner. Those are pros of having a chip.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
i may be game if DD2000GT will help me tune it...

Damn - does this mean I have to give your AutoTap back? :-D Sure I'll help you tune it, it is easy as heck. That goes for any other laocal guys as well.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
Damn - does this mean I have to give your AutoTap back? :-D Sure I'll help you tune it, it is easy as heck. That goes for any other laocal guys as well.
Were all lucky that you have already installed one! Lots of knowledge!

coleman

Established Member
yup, DD2000GT's done it already!
i've got the autoTap.
now all we need is a shop w/ a dyno that's willing to give us a little more time ... or pay by the hour for all of us.

Dan, how long did yours take to dyno all those runs?
And in what order should this stuff be done?
...close-loop then open-loop?

help!

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
yup, DD2000GT's done it already!
i've got the autoTap.
now all we need is a shop w/ a dyno that's willing to give us a little more time ... or pay by the hour for all of us.

Dan, how long did yours take to dyno all those runs?
And in what order should this stuff be done?
...close-loop then open-loop?

help!

MMT was VERY accomodating when I booked my dyno session, even let me cool down about 30 min. before the "last" run when I got everything set (I thought) so I would get good "after" dyno numbers. Even though I made three more runs after I thought I had it perfect (I am a perfectionist). I ran about 25 pulls, getting them to chart it out after every pull so I could adjust the MAFterburner, and took me a total of 1.5 hours with the 30 min cooldown and over 1/4 tank of gas. :)

The MAFterburner took me about 30 min to install, but I have some recommendations to all who are going to install on things I wished I had done to hide the connections better. After it is all hooked up, you just install the MAFterburner software on a laptop, hook the supplied serial port cable to the MAFterburner unit, it auto detects which port it is on, and you start tuning. You start with the closed loop table first (idle and part throttle) and tune it while also using the AutoTap to see where your fuel trims are at while you are adjusting the MAFterburner. I know it seems complicated, but it is really quite straightforward (except the part about tuning direction is opposite on closed loop vs. open loop tables).

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
If we can get to 10 committed on purchasing the MAF, we can get the group discount offered. Rather than post the details here, PM and I can relay the offer I have. It is a good idea to orgainize the tuning at MMT since they have a lower cost for a smaller group of cars. If we don't have a full comittment by next Wednesday, of 15 cars for next Saturday, then I would suggest we bug out of the Speedworks session. I prefer to see that many 03 Cobra's but suggest that other performance car buddies of yours be invited along.

TPOC

Established Member
Originally posted by olchakla
If we can get to 10 committed on purchasing the MAF, we can get the group discount offered.

No thank you, I have a chip.

coleman

Established Member
good point, i hope they can complement each other.
i hate having to pay $$$ for every chip re-burn.
chips can control so much more than the MAFterburner, but *we* can tweek the MAF as often as we care to -- close-loop anyway.
and w/ dyno time tune open-loop also w/o paying more & more for re-burns.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
good point, i hope they can complement each other.
i hate having to pay $$$ for every chip re-burn.
chips can control so much more than the MAFterburner, but *we* can tweek the MAF as often as we care to -- close-loop anyway.
and w/ dyno time tune open-loop also w/o paying more & more for re-burns.

Yes, they complement each other rather well. The closed-loop tuning (if any is required at all) should be done prior to going to the dyno. Dan can help y'all with this.....all you need besides his knowledge is an Autotap.

In reality, most people don't even mess with the closed-loop tables unless they are having "issues" of MAF transfer function "skew" caused by CAIs or other intake tract changes.

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
GP is on

Hi Folks,

We are proud to announce that our newest Authorized Dealer, Amazon Racing (www.amazonracing.com) will be hosting this group purchase of MAFterburners and Afterburner-eFPC units to the DFW crowd.

Here are the official details of the GP:

Minimum number of participants: 10
Products: Afterburner-eFPC STAGE1, Afterburner-eFPC STAGE2, MAFterburner
STAGE1, MAFterburner STAGE2 (nitrous controller)
Pricing: 20% off of retail prices ($300, $350, $300, $400 are the standard retail
prices)
Length of GP: 2 weeks from start date of 2/24/03
Misc. Criteria: all units must be paid for by a single person and shipped to a single shipping address. Payment must be made to Amazon Racing.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Rick or myself.

Thanks,

MJ

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
anyone, which one is better? ok, best $/value...
i don't know the difference :(

As you are probably aware, one is a MAF tuner and the other a fuel pressure tuner.

I'll try to be clear about what circumstances require use of the MAFterburner product and what others would be best suited to using the Afterburner-eFPC on the '03 Cobras. Here is a basic rundown, it is not an all-inclusive list:

MAFterburner
----------------

1. controlling air/fuel on a non-pullied car
2. recalibration of the MAF in order to fix idle and part-throttle driveability problems caused by intake tract changes
3. to compensate for larger injectors
4. in general, anytime you need to make large air/fuel corrections in the LEAN direction, the MAFterburner ends up being a pretty good fit
5. driving a nitrous kit (built-in WOT and window switch and dual-tunes in STAGE2 product)

Afterburner-eFPC
---------------------

1. controlling air/fuel on a pullied car without a chip
2. precise alteration of fuel pressure in order to provide MAJOR fuel enrichment
3. in general, anytime you need to make large air/fuel corrections in the RICH direction, the eFPC ends up being a pretty good fit

Both products can be used together harmoniously. In fact, on our test car, we use the MAFterburner to compensate for 50lb/hr injectors and the eFPC to provide fuel enrichment for the 7lbs of additional boost that we put through the engine.

Best,

MJ

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
TTT for the DFW people who haven't seen this yet.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
The MAFterburner is very easy to manipulate with a notebook computer. Anyone who can read a dyno shop's air fuel ratio graph can tune the car with a laptop and then verify the results.

I can verify that the MAFterburner Plus is an excellent nitrous system controller as well.

Also, I have an Afterburner eFPC to switch between returnless and return type fuel system operation depending upon whether the nitrous arming switch is on or not.

Chips are great for cars with computers that the chip makers have cracked. I have a 99 ZMR2 computer and the chip makers haven't been able to do everything with them, such as reset the rev limiter. I have had mixed success with a TwEECer as well. My particular car runs best with a stock computer, no chip, the MAFterburner Plus, eFPC, and Steeda timing adjuster. I have screwed around with chips for 3 years, and always pull it out and trick the computer externally instead. But the 99 computer is a strange animal compared to the 01 and 03 models, apparently. I just wanted to make a point that a chip is not ALWAYS the answer.

You guys will love being able to tune with the Zone V products.

Joe Lynch

Users who are viewing this thread