Detune? I have a question. Dealer says 2014 GT500 was detuned. Previous owner did a Bama tune. Dealer put cats back on for inspection. Any thoughts?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
1. To many unknowns
2. No clear back history
3. I will never buy a car without a COMPRESSION CHECK, period!
4. Bama Tunes are trash and cheap.
5. The cool engine cap set in the engine bay is discontinued. Those are worth money, but not worth the rest of the headache.
6. An engine bay will tell a story. If it's dirty and trashed, so was the upkeep of the car.

Would not buy

It's your money spend it if you want to.
Or take the advice and pass on it.

The 13/14 Shelbys are legends!
However, they are very finicky and if not maintained properly will put you in the poor house fast and quickly change your attitude towards it.

Good Luck

Last edited:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Are you dead set on this individual car? If so, I get it. Been there myself.
But. Whichever prior owner had a Bama tune did zero homework prior. That would scare me. With a proper tune the car might be fine. Or not.
That’s a lot of money to take that gamble with IMO.
I’d slow the roll & search out an unmodified car or find a nice modified one with the actual owner available to answer any questions.
We’ve seen several guys buy problematic 13/14’s over the years & life sucks at that point.
We’re not trying to be assholes about it, just don’t want to see you get burned even though we don’t even know you. We’d like to see you be a happy new 13/14 owner.
There’s other cars available so I’d run from this one.

Painter2014

Established Member
Thanks you guys. What a weath of knowledge.

You know...I was looking at a 14 GT500 in Fresno. 3000 miles away. Lots of mods. So I get a fella that goes to check cars for people that can't get there themselves. And what do you know? He gives me the exact advice as you gave me! Find one that's not modified.

That being said......The add for this car I'm looking at had zero mention of mods. Not even a picture under the hood. They said "Come and look". I did and saw throttle body and then proceeded up the ladder to sales manager until I got a list.

Thanks again for talking to me.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
They won't give me a mods list or previous owners number. Looks like a cobra jet throttle body and bigger Cai. One salesman said pullies. But didn't get any specifics.
Just have your salesman contact the previous owner on your behalf and give the guy your cell#… if he wants to contact you he will reach out… I had a guy call me years ago on the Z06 I traded in, my sales guy first checked with me to see if it was ok.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Say what you are thinking. I didn't buy it yet.
NO ONE WITH A BRAIN PUTS A BAMA TUNE ON A GT500.
This dealership changed it's story, had to, they have no clue what's going on with this car.
..........................................................................Rules for buying a modded car:
1. Complete documented history.
2. Walk away from the car if rule ( 1 ) isn't met !!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You are paying full market value on that car with a questionable history. Not worth the risk. BAMA has a sketchy history on the 13-14. Personally, I wouldn't touch a modified car that ever required a tune.

Tom

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You are paying full market value on that car with a questionable history. Not worth the risk. BAMA has a sketchy history on the 13-14. Personally, I wouldn't touch a modified car that ever required a tune.

Tom

BAMA had been terrible for years before the 13/14 snakes, shocked anyone was still using their tunes, let alone put one on a 13/14 5’hundy.

Users who are viewing this thread