Detroit True Trac users please chime in

lilredcoupe

Established Member
I am about to put another set of gears in to try to get rid of the whine. I am adding a girdle this time around and having someone other than Ford do my gears. I was thinking of adding the Detroit True Trac while I had the rear end apart. Mods are in my sig. It currently makes 705/660. The car is an occasional driver and has 305/35/20 NT555r DRs. I take it to the track about 6-8 times a year and I'm thinking of putting some littles and bigs with some larger DRs in the future. I'm curious if the True Trac is a good idea for my setup. What are the downsides? How does the True Trac act on the street compared to the factory traction loc? Also should I do axles or should I be fine with the stock axles as long as I don't put slicks on the car?

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Tru trac is great, love it. I bent my 31 spline moser axles and the true trac held up. Threw some strange axles into the true trac and now its even better

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I like to drag race so I went with 9" ends to eliminate the c-clips. Moser makes a full kit for this setup keeping the stock brakes and ABS.
Otherwise, several companies make drop in axles. A diff cover is a good idea too while you're in there.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It involves welding, if you have not done something lIke this, probably best left to a pro shop.
I bought the whole kit from Moser and had my chassis shop build the axle.
If you don't drag race frequently, drop,in stock replacement axles are your best bet.
Strange and Moser both have those and a good idea as guys have bent stock axles with little abuse.
-J

Wharf Rat

Established Member
I've had TrueTracs in 3 of my Stangs. Other than your car launching straight as an arrow you won't know it's there. Factory Trac Locs are shit on high hp cars on the street or any car at the strip.

ThomasL

Established Member
I've had TrueTracs in 3 of my Stangs. Other than your car launching straight as an arrow you won't know it's there. Factory Trac Locs are shit on high hp cars on the street or any car at the strip.

I agree. Had my TrueTrac for a couple months now. Dry burnouts killed my stock diff from what i understand.

Users who are viewing this thread