Detroit locker too much?

Nickoli

Established Member
I have a Detroit locker in my '06 car that I will be selling soon. I'm thinking about putting it in the '13. Do you think it will be over kill for a real street car like I want to keep my gt500? The '06 had a lot of other race car parts so I can't really compare it to before I went with the locker. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
I had a Detroit Locker in my 08 F350 and loved it. You had to be careful when parking because of the 12-14 inches of roll you'd get but once I got used to it there were no problems. I wonder how the Detroit would do on a race track (twistees). The minute you put power to it the rear is locked solid. I would be afraid it would push the front end causing under steer.

I was considering doing moser axels and found myself looking at the Detroit again.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
The Torsen T2R is a much better unit than a locker. A locker hits hard when they lock and can be unsettling on a road course when you are transitioning from braking to throttle in corners. The T2R is sooo much smoother.

Tom

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I had a locker in my last Tiger--ok on the street but a little scary on the road course.

Bad Company

Established Member
The strongest and smoothest transitioning carrier is the Wavetrac, but it is also the most expensive

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The strongest and smoothest transitioning carrier is the Wavetrac, but it is also the most expensive

The Wavetrac is garbage. I've personally broke one on the street on street tires with 540rwh (not to mention all the c-clip issues).

Also, the T2R is a good unit, but it's not strong enough for drag racing. I would highly recommend the Trutrac or the new Torsen T2, which are both smooth as glass, and strong enough for whatever you want to do with them.

A detroit locker belongs on the drag strip and that's it. Too noisy and too on/off for the street.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I thought the T2R was stronger than the T2.

Tom

It depends on which one you're referring to. There are 3 31 spline Torsens available. The T2R has a higher bias ratio (which is good), but that actually takes a bit away from its strength. It's perfect for a 3000-3500lb 400-500hp road course kind of car. But not a 4000lb 600-800hp GT500. Definitely don't run a T2R on the drag strip with slicks.

There are two T2's actually. The T31 and the MB. The old T2 isn't very strong and won't last in a GT500. The new MB T2 is the strongest Torsen made by 30%. Ford wouldn't put it in a '13 GT500 if it weren't up to the task. It doesn't have the high bias ratio of the T2R, but it's much stronger, and will perform flawlessly under nearly any driving scenario.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Good info. Based on your comments that is why I had the T2R recommended to me. Car in the avatar is about 400 hp and weighs 3000 lbs.

Tom

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been looking into them strange S-trac seems like a stronger wavetrac.
I've had a locker I'd rather have less noise in this car personally.
Must be getting soft :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread