DETONATION - PREDAOR ADVICE?

cobra101

Established Member
So, I have the predator in. I am getting detonation at high boost.

my only mods are CAI and the 2.75 RR.

I did NOT change my plugs yet.

should I retard timing 10 notch's? add some more fuel?

also, can I buy plugs locally? ngk's? denso's? will they have them? gapped?

thanks for the info.

I wish I can tell if it still will detonate without having to nail the gas and see :)

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
What gas is availible to you?

My suggestion is to set the Predator all the way rich (max negative value) and also retard timing (2% - 4%). Allow a little drive time and check for ping. Over the next couple of drive cycles move the Fuel base back to lean an increment at a time again checking for ping. Simply all I am suggesting is start playing around with small changes but start at the fat end where things are safer.

You should be able to go to Autozone or a competitor and purchase plugs but, they will not come gapped. Your stock plugs should be sufficient until you can get new plugs but you will still need to gap them. Your gap should be in the range of .035 -.040.

My settings on the Predator before I got my custom tune were 2% retard on timing and -7.3% fuel. With these settings I had no noticble detonation. I am running a 2.85 K&N and flowmasters.

M@

P.S. Best way to tune is get to the DYNO...

cobra101

Established Member
thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. I know I will get to a dyno asap. But with the predator it is not possible to dyno tune right?

I heard they have to swap in a computer with a diablo chip, then dyno tune, then convert the diablo tune that's in the chip to a predator format.

I will certainly try and get some plugs soon. If I am taking out the original plugs I mine as just put new ones in rather than regapp the stock plug. what do you suggest their at autozone? do they seel ngk's (Spell?) or denso's?

Ok. so I am going to retard timing 4% to start and add a bunch of fuel.

Obviously, there is no way to see if it will detaoinate without going WOT and listening, right? I hate to hear that noise again :)

thanks for the speedy advice.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Are you sure its detonation and not spark blowout? Your gap, if still stock is way too big for 2.75 upper.

GMSLAYER

Established Member
The pre-loaded tunes pinged like crazy on my car too. You must get a custom tune from the dealer you bought the predator from. I have a custom tune for Jonny Lightning and it really runs strong and no pinging. :)

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
do yourself a favor a go to the dyno and get your car tuned on the dyno with the predator from someone who knows what they are doing before you have to buy a motor!!!!

cobra101

Established Member
Again, I thought it was impossible to get a dyno tune with the predator. Heard that the computer can be swapped for one with a diablo chip. then dyno tune. then diablo tune converted to predator.

Does anyone know where I could get a custum tune in socal (with predator) ?

I may goto the autozone nearby and get some plugs. I am sure they can gap em for me (maybe an extra buck a plug).

What brand should I buy in auitozone?

Yes, I guess it could be spark blowout. I don't know the difference in sound between the two.

Yes, they are stock plugs, gapped stock. Is just regapping the plugs good enough or should I just get new ones?

My guess now is that by retarding timing and adding fuel will NOT solve my problem with those stock plugs I got?

thanks for the help :)

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
you can add or take out timing. you can add or take out fuel....etc..etc...

thus while on a dyno with the air/fuel ratio meter, you will know if the vehicle is running to lean or too rich. you can make adjustments to compensate for it, THUS DYNO TUNING

stock plugs should be alright for your setup. i would personally change to some NGKs

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Mine was detonating under heavy load in 4, 5, 6th gears at low RPMs.

I took out timing, added fuel. Didnt work.

Took it to a Diablo Sport Dealer for a dyno tune.

All is well. All I had was a 2.93 intake exhaust but also crappy California 91 octane.

GMSLAYER

Established Member
Sorry but the changes you can make with the actual predator are minimal. Your tuner must have the Diablo Revolution software to make the adjustments necessary to have a "safe tune". If you go to the dyno they will make a base run and adjust with the revolution software to make the changes. The Predator is just another way to get a custom tune without using a chip.

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
but the minimal changes are enough to go from trashing a motor to having a decent tuned car.

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by cobra101
So, I have the predator in. I am getting detonation at high boost.

my only mods are CAI and the 2.75 RR.

I did NOT change my plugs yet.

should I retard timing 10 notch's? add some more fuel?

also, can I buy plugs locally? ngk's? denso's? will they have them? gapped?

thanks for the info.

I wish I can tell if it still will detonate without having to nail the gas and see :)

My $0.02 is:

1. Install the Pulley tune with 10.1% timing retard, 15% fuel richening. That will put you at 23 degrees max timing and plenty rich.
2. Get yourself some Denso IT20 plugs and gap them at 0.038". In the meantime gap the stock plugs at 0.038" to eliminate spark blowout.
3. Verify that detonation is gone. If not, contact your Predator dealer for instructions on how to pull more timing and add more fuel. You can also find instructions on how to do this on Modularfords. Search for posts from the user RWTD.
4. Get yourself to a dyno with A/F and check your tune.
5. Use the Predator to advance timing and/or pull fuel to optimize the predator tune on the dyno.

FYI, I use the Predator with a 3.1, CAI, and exhaust. I run 10% timing retard and 10% fuel richening. That was right on the money for my mods with a little margin for bad gas.

cobra101

Established Member
I just put it to 10.0 notch's timing retard. I had the fuel at max rich and timing 4.0 retarded before with the same detonation. I am hoping the 10.0 retard helps allot. I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I will certainly change the plugs asap.

Does anyone know if autozone sell denso's or nkg's?

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread