Detonation/Pinging

02Lightning629

Established Member
Is detonation the samething as pinging??? This is a scary subject and my truck sounds like it pings. I woud love to hear what someone elses truck sounds like at normal throttle without kickin her down. Mine just seems kinda noisy or something when u dont kick it down. Is this normal???

ralphy1798

Established Member
Detonation is the technical term for the Air / Fuel mixture spontaneously igniting before the spark goes off. When this happens the piston rings in the cylinder and as it hits the walls, it makes a metal on metal (marbles in a can) type sound. 'pinging' is a common name for it b/c thats what it sounds like.

You most likely will only detonate at wide open throttle when you are dropping the hammer. You would have to have a seriously ****ed up tune to have pinging at idle or partial throttle. I know the injectors are kind of loud at idle... maybe its that? When exactly does it 'ping'???? Are you in bost? What gear? What RPM's??? What are your mods?

Jeff

Last edited:

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
ralphy1798 said:
Detonation is the technical term for the Air / Fuel mixture spontaneously igniting before the spark goes off. When this happens the piston rings in the cylinder and as it hits the walls, it makes a metal on metal (marbles in a can) type sound. 'pinging' is a common name for it b/c thats what it sounds like.

You most likely will only detonate at wide open throttle when you are dropping the hammer. You would have to have a seriously ****ed up tune to have pinging at idle or partial throttle. I know the injectors are kind of loud at idle... maybe its that? When exactly does it 'ping'???? Are you in bost? What gear? What RPM's??? What are your mods?

Jeff

Perfectly said and described, couldnt have said it better myself :thumbsup:

02Lightning629

Established Member
Im actually stock just started ordering mods yesterday. Well for example lets say im doing 60 just cruisin and i give it a little throttle (I dunno it could just be me worrying thats somethings wrong) just to speed up a few mph it just sounds weird it could be how every L sounds kinda sounds like when ur drivin a manual and u speed up in 4th when u shoud be in 3rd cause the rpms are too low thats exactly what it sounds like. Could that be it with an automatic I've never heard this in any automatic i've ever driven.

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
What fuel are you using? How long has it been doing that? Advance tming can cause that. I have 3 E350's 2 of them weigh in at 6 tons and when they dont downshift they make that noise also. Almsot like a deiseling noise

Users who are viewing this thread