Detonation above 5000 at WOT with SCT X4 installed tune

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I thought it was just my Carter custom tune, so I removed it and used the SCT standard tune. My car only has a drop in AFE and GT500 mufflers. It detonates above 5k at WOT, so I back off immediately. I guess I could try some top tier 93 octance, but I figured just running 93 octane would be enough. I did several data logs for my "tuner" to adjust his tune, but it still did it. Thanks for any help.

JTS_7

Established Member
Had a similar issue long ago. Tried some Torco, went away. Switched to E85 (same tuner) never had the issue again.

I even went to brand new gas stations BP, Thortons, Shell, all 93 produced knock.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Sounds like it needs less timing up top or more fuel, or both. This is my daily driver, so E85 is out of the question. Thanks for the input though.

JTS_7

Established Member
FWIW I have seen knock on a factory Ford tune, as have others.

How much timing is your tune pulling when you see knock activity?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You take what the local gas will give you, back off the timing.

RIPN

Established Member
Please don't get gas from Thortons, probably the cheapest gas.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I'm not knowledgeable on how to look at my datalog numbers and make adjustments. I probably need to buddy up with someone in the Raleigh/Cary/Apex who does and bring my laptop along. I do know how to do some datalogs, but I did that last fall so it has been a while.

Users who are viewing this thread