Detailing - The business aspect

jf4boogie

Established Member
I know there have been a few of these threads over the past few years, but just wanted some opinions/ideas from you "regulars".

I have been tossing the idea around of doing more of legit side business doing detailing/paint correction. I guess my question(s) are how you guys started out, what marketing you find successful, and any key do's and/or dont's.

I am thinking something very small/simple possibly consisting of business cards with contact info and a web address for potential customers to see before/after photos. I have collected a small assortment of photos of cars past and feel that pictures speak volumes as well as customer comments.

I have a "regular" 8-5 job, so I can't commit too much time to it, but would like to earn a small side income actually doing something I enjoy.

I'm in a small enough town that word would eventually spread, but large enough that it could potentially lead to a decent 2nd income.

The problem around here is these quikey type "detail shops" that have some clown working for $7.50/hr slinging tire shine and a quick buff with a wool pad and some compound and calling that a detail.

Anyway, just been tossing the idea around so thought I'd see what you guys had to say about.

Thanks for the help guys :beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Its hard to get yourself started, because like you said, youll be looking at $200-300 for a REAL detail and paint correction, when some joe-schmo ghetto shop with cheap labor will do a quick buff and fill in 2hrs and $100, and to 95% of the customer base, will be just as pleased.

Best marketing would be likely to specialized car aftermarkets and forums, selling your services to people willing to pay $200-300 for real results, not filler that looks good for two washes. Youll most likely have to do mobile and on the weekends starting out; once you get your own shop you have to include overage/overhead in your price and thatll drive your profits into the shitter, unless youre REALLY reputable and your business speaks for itself at that point. but thats quite a ways down the road.

Even the best local detailer I know still works 9-5 at a GM dealership. People drop off their car with him for week or so at a time for him to work his magic after hours, he records his hours and bills them accordingly. They know they will get results and know its worth the time/money.

Make sure theres no other mobile detailers in your area and that you have a decent car following of people really interested in this sort of work.

I made business cars and put them on car windows/wipers of nice cars that hopefully the owner would want taken care of, and marketed to local car forums. Lots of interest, but nobody would commit. Hard to spend $300 on your car nowadays in this economy, even enthusiasts are leery about blowing money on their car.

Last edited:

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
Thomas pretty much nailed it. I started up my detailing business about a year ago Id say so far so good. Its going to be a slow start, as any other business would, but lately has been picking up. I used to get lucky to do a honda civic, and now I have customers calling me with the best of the best. Dont expect to get out there right away, its going to take time, effort, and A LOT dedication to do this.

Mobile is the way to go. Even after a year Im STILL only detailing on weekends with a friday thrown in every once in a while. I It makes it much easier for the customer base and will bring you more as time goes by. Start off with family and friends, and by word of mouth your customer base will only expand. A year later were already starting accounts with 3 dealerships and have 10+ personnal accounts opened up.

If you have any questions just shoot me a pm or ask here!

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I've been doing it for a few years..

Its VERY hard to get started out.. You have to let your work sell it self. Dont just go out and do something that anyone else could do. Theyre paying you to do what they cant.

Anyone can to to autozone and pick up a bottle of mothers wax and polish and do it themselves.. All it literally takes is the ability to read directions and a little bit of common sense.

Get out and start testing products.

Mobile detailing is a great way of doing it too.. Less overhead expenses and you can use it as a selling point.. Tell the customers you will travel right to them, or where the car is located.. So they wont have to drop it off anywhere.

Start sponsoring local forums, websites, car shows, and other popular places where people may be interested. Get a TON of business cards made, and make some fliers.

Also, it helps if you have a few nice local cars that are well known that can advertise for you and put a good word out. I have 2 good friends (both own vettes) and I give them a killer deal since they always bring in business for me. people see how clean their car is, often comment, then the owners say "Thanks! blah blah blah cleaned it for me" (no... Thats not my business name, just wont advertise myself when I'm not a paying vendor here).

Heres my booth at a car show just this past weekend. Let your work sell itself. It REALLY helps when you can have cars that attract attention.

Modded C6 Z06, built C5 FRC, cammed LS3 2010 Camaro, 02 SS, 02 Firehawk, and a 520ci 71 torino. (Look at the vehicles windows too.. They all had my logo stickered on their window for the show, so when people took pictures, my logo was in it!)
0613001426.jpg

0613001426a.jpg

The cars I had at my booth attracted attention, brought people over, then they became interested.

The main thing you want to remember... Separate yourself from everone else.. Do what they cant.. And as I tell my employees "PAY ATTENTION TO THE DETAILS!"

Take lots of pictures.. And if you have any other questions, please feel free to send me a PM!

Last edited:

jf4boogie

Established Member
Thanks for the input fellas. I guess I should add that I've been doing this for a few years for other people, but grew up in my dads body shop doing finishing for him. I was literally wet-sanding cars before I could even drive. I've got the experience, tools, and know-how, but before now wasn't really interested in "advertising" or making myself available to the general public. I usually just picked up work through word of mouth and references from customers past.

I guess I've gotten a little older and my passion for cars has grown even more and I feel like this town could use a more "personal level" detailing option instead of just dropping their car off at "buffmasters" or "xtreme detail" to let a hack job happen. Once people can recognize the difference, I feel like most customers would gladly pay $200 as opposed to $150 to have it done RIGHT.

Anyway, I'll continue to toss around the idea and if anyone else has any input I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again guys...

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
Not for nothing... I love it! When a customer drops off a nice car, all I can do is smile. Ill be doing a 2010 Audi S5 today! Pictures to come...

jf4boogie

Established Member
^^Again, I appreciate you guy's input.

245 views so far and only a few comments lol.

What's up with some of the other "elder" or "seasoned" guys not chiming in?

MAXSE2kMT

HAIL THE AMBER LAMPS!
Established Member
I was in your position last year and what has helped me grow has been a Facebook fan page, tons business cards, word of mouth, and I go to as many car shows and belong to a large number of car forums where I can show off my work and offer special discounts. There are a large number of "detailers" where I live and what has helped me combat them is educating customers and potential customers. Taking the time to really go over their vehicles and explain the difference between what I can do and what a hack does or just a normal car wash has gone a long way. As was mentioned before you want to be providing a service that is either unattainable or unable to be done by the vehicle owner. It has appeared to me that most people do not need nor care for a full paint correction. In educating them I try to set their expectations properly. Not everyone needs a full correction, especially on a daily driver.

I like to spend time with the owners making sure they understand what they really need and not just telling them what to do. I want them to be able to gauge their needs properly and if a correction is done I like to see them maintain their vehicle afterwards. I send out thank you and follow up letters/emails to customers and offer free hand washes as a follow up to see if they are maintaining the vehicle. It costs me close to nothing supply wise, but giving my time to them goes a long way. Hope my ramblings help, if even just a little.

SpectorV

Established Member
As said above its all about reputation and making sure people know the price you are charging is worth it... some people simply dont understand the hard work that goes into detailing a car.. some call "detailing" a wash/wax .... so you have to make sure they understand what all there is that is done and why its so expensive etc. Many people wont care to have that level of detail done to their car, and those that do will be VERY picky about who they let touch their car~ but reputation is key.

Users who are viewing this thread