Detailing black Cobra

Qwk GT

Established Member
Hey all,

So I've always washed and waxed my cars and have always thought they come out pretty good.

I've decided I want to go a step further and could use some guidance. My normal procedure would just be a simple wash, then wax.

I've been looking a Griots (not sure the exact name) machine buffer/polisher. Mainly going this route because they are local and I can just go pick it up, and I've always wanted one of these.

The car in question is my 03 Cobra, with 8k miles. For a black car, the paint is actually in really good condition IMO. There are some slight swirl marks that I'd like to get rid of.

So far I'm thinking clay it, seal then wax. Although I was thinking of some polish. Not sure what to get, and don't feel I need anything too abrasive. The swirls are hard to see right now, very slight, and don't want to get into the clear too much if not needed.

Any input on polish? I was going to get a package from griots that comes with a bunch of pads, but any input on different pads would be appreciated as well.

Any other general input also welcome. All I have at the moment is Mothers clay and meguires gold class. Thinking of switching up the wax as well, its ok but looking for something better.

Last edited:

flamedstang95

Gettin' Dirty
Established Member
I'm not familiar with the Griots DA polisher but I am with the Porter Cable and I must say, it's a must have if you care about the way your car looks. I clayed my car first then used the PC with orange pad and Meguiars 105, then I went over it with Meguiars 205 and a white pad. I finished by hand with Meguiars 21 Synthetic sealant and then waxed with with Mothers Carnuba after about 2 weeks. The pads you can find at We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store and recently you can buy the waxes at Auto Zone or Advance Auto. Plan on about 100.00 in waxes alone. Best of luck

Qwk GT

Established Member
I'm kind of a newb when it comes to polish. I did a search, looks like the 105 is a stronger polish, would just the 205 do?

I'm assuming a polish would be required after a clay?

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
I just detailed my black 03 cobra as well this weekend. First time with the porter cable, as I had always been a simple clay-wax guy. The paint had some swirls and water etching from being outside. I went with wash -> Clay-> M105 on an orange pad (speed 4-5)->M205 on a black/gray pad (speed 4-5). It removed all of the swirls and all but the worst of the water spots. I really was impressed with it, and it was easy for a first timer. Now I just need to decide on a sealant.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Were the swirls bad? Do you think I could get away with just the 205, or is the 105 basically a must do to be effective? Any pics?

Also, anyone have any links on the differences between pads? Regarding what the differences are? I'm assuming it has to do with helping cut into the clear?

Last edited:

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
I went with the 105 because of how bad the water spots were. I would say I had "mild-moderate swirls". I have none now. I can't say if 205 would have been enough, as I went straight to 105.
The colors of the pads indicate how much "cut" they have to them. You can find a decent explanation at autogeek.net under the pads section.

Users who are viewing this thread